Cressi Leonardo Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ellisj501

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

Hope everyone is ok and enjoying their diving.

Well, finally after what seems like a lifetime my open water dives are coming up in a couple of weeks and I am sat with a grin ear to ear.

The only kit I need really of my own is my mask, snorkel and dive computer.

I have got myself a Cressi Leonardo, what mainly attracted me to it was it's ease of use and easy to read screen.

Does anyone else have one of these dive computers, how do you prep it for a dive, do you set it up just before you go into the water, or do you set up a plan at home then pack up your gear, or do you just switch it on and jump in the water.

I know my max depth will be between 12 to 18 meters, so I honestly wasn't going to set up a plan, I was going to just turn it on then jump in, but would love to know your favorite procedure for your dive computer.

Cheers

John

I just got one of those as well, works fine for my recreational diving that I do. I wish the beeps were a different tone, I have bad hearing and can't really hear those. One main suggestion I have and one that was recommended to me is to download Subsurface software instead of the Cressi software. It has many more features, and more functionality, one of which is average dive depth, and SAC rate. Also, if I had the Cressi software installed, then Subsurface would not download from my computer. Once I uninstalled the Cressi software, it worked great.

First, read your manual and get familiar with your computer and it's options and how to change them.

You can set some things up in advance of your dive, but you really need to turn it on just before you dive and check to make sure:

It does turn on and the battery is good
The time and date are correct
It's in the right mode -Gauge, Air, or Nitrox
If Nitrox, the mix is set for the contents of the tank you are diving
The conservative factor is set to what you want it to be
The Deep Stop function is set on or off depending on if you want it or not

First, read your manual and get familiar with your computer and it's options and how to change them.

You can set some things up in advance of your dive, but you really need to turn it on just before you dive and check to make sure:

It does turn on and the battery is good
The time and date are correct
It's in the right mode -Gauge, Air, or Nitrox
If Nitrox, the mix is set for the contents of the tank you are diving
The conservative factor is set to what you want it to be
The Deep Stop function is set on or off depending on if you want it or not

Hi, thanks for the reply, I read the manual front to back and with this one it really is a no frills does the basics, I like it. I set a dive plan for 18 meter max depth and will see if it saved tomorrow, I also set it for air but other than that, I left everything else as default, just wondered how others prepared there dive computer really, on the day or well in advance.

I guess it's one of those things you do with practice.

Thanks again for the reply.

I've been diving with a Leonardo for a few years. Once you do the initial set up as mentioned by @GJC (date/time format, dive mode, conservative factor, deep stop, alarms, etc.) it's essentially done. The only thing you may need to change before every dive is the nitrox setting if you are diving nitrox. Other than that, set for air, strap it on and forget it.

I usually check my NDL situation before doing my second dive of the day. Press the button until you get to PLAN. Hold the button down for a couple of seconds to activate the depth field and press the button to increase the depth to the preset that is closest to your estimate for the dive. It will give you your NDL time based off of your first dive and your surface interval to that point. For example, yesterday we hung out deep for longer than usual on our first dive, so before the next (shallow) dive I kept checking the PLAN NDL to make sure my surface interval would give me at least 70 minutes at an average of 49' (one of the plan function preset depths and closest to the average I expected for that dive - my actual came in at 48' and 65 minutes, with a little NDL to spare).

And I also highly recommend Subsurface. I use it to log all my dives. You will have to purchase the USB docking interface.

I got one aswell.
Like others already said: subsurface, check if air/nitrox is set correct and check ndl for second dive.

Nothing to prepare..
But!!! : if you set it to gauge mode it will lock you out for 48h(not sure, might be only 24h). So avoid this option if you want to go scuba diving

Just one tip, the fewer audible alarms the better. My first computer for the first few dives I set an alarm for just about every option available, NDL at a certain point, depth alarm, time alarm etc. I am sure I annoyed the heck out of the people I was diving with.

Don't forget to correct the time if you travel to dive outside your time zone.

And if you live in a daylight saving time change zone, I don't think many (if any) dive computers make that correction automatically.

It’s extremely conservative but really good to the newish divers due to cost and ease of use.

to your question. If your not diving Nitrox, which is a simple few clicks, then just jump in and descend to greater than three feet...that’s it. Oh, and always dive the computer!

Back
Top Bottom