Cree SSC-P7-C-SXO 3-Mode 900-Lumen LED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnsona1503

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
MKSMITH763 suggested this light as primary. My wife and I have 30 dives so far and I want us to have dive lights. We dive localy in lakes and on good days 10' visibility but averages 4' to 6' vis. We will take a night class this spring as we want to do night diving in Cozumel, been twice and cant get enough. I want to carry a light on all dives, I think it could help with those times when the vis gets bad on day dives just to spot each other during thos fews seconds we don't have our eyes on each other. We have used a small light on a Choc Mol Cenote dive in September but I won't comment on its quality. I want small powerfull light to carry always, in the BC pocket. Does Cree make a smaller dive light for this purpose?
About the Cree SS-P7-SXO 3 I think I would be a good primary light to use 2 times a year and for our night class but can you attach a wrist strap and snap to attach to your BC?

If you posted a link to the light someone would comment specifically... though I'll take a guess that it's a "waterproof" sub $100 light made in China. If so I'd steer clear...

For a backup everyday light I would suggest replacing the wrist strap with a brass clip on a Tusa TUL-300 Tabata USA, Inc. - NEW : TUL-300 LED DIVE LIGHT [TUL-300] and clipping it to you BC. The output is a smooth wide beam with good longevity.

Other lights I'm considering for backup and/or primary are
mb-sub.com: X1 - VB LED-flashlight
and
Big Blue Lights Focusable 250 lumen LED Light - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

Some things you might want to consider:

1) Light output (Lumens)
Plain as day, brightness counts and the more lumens the better... to a point as with everything you need to consider your use. Search the board and you will find many discussions about 10watt vs 20watt etc... led vs hid etc... the P7 led bulb is approx of a 14watt

2) Type of beam, wide vs narrow vs adjustable
Wide angle is great for clear water like Cozumel while in murky 10feet vis you might prefer a laser :) Having 3 or 4 lights for different conditions isn't uncommon

3) type of batteries
Do you want rechargable (multiples sets if you do), off the shelf common AAA,AA, C or D? or more expensive camera batteries like CR123s?

Carrying a light with you at all times is a good habit to get into and once you take the Low Vis course you will understand the need for two.

I have 7 different models including 2 DIY and only two are dove regularly: TUl-300 and my SlX SLX 800t Dive Lights

Lots of lights, even more opinions... just don't rush to buy you have things to consider and may find spending a bit more will get you a better long term value

The light that you mentioned is one of the better ones on a "bang for your buck" basis.

It may not be the best light for your first light expectation-wise as it's still more in the "experimental" stage. I have a similar light and love it but you have to be a do it yourself type to fix a few design flaws at the moment.

The Tusa mentioned above I'm sure is a decent light for the money. It looks like it is probably a Tusa branded Intova. In any event that's another option Intova makes both a wide angle light as well as a narrow angle light.

Regarding Big Blue, it looks interesting as well although as I recall it is a Chinese company which is not a problem for me.

If you are the do it yourself type and want a light to test out in your local lakes and go in to it with the understanding that you might have to fix a few things then the original light that you mentioned is by far the best deal out there. There is no problem to attach a lanyard or whatever. It is too big to stick into a BC pocket however.

Since you have no lights I'd probably get an Intova Narrow focus for a small reliable light and do your research after than. You can always use the Intova as a backup light later.

As was mentioned above, lumens is the light output of the dive light at the light source. A wide angle (flood) light of the same lumen level will not be as bright at a particular spot as a spot light. So you get more bang for your buck with a spot light. If you need or want a flood light however you may not need for it to be as bright at one particular spot as long as it produces more flood overall.

If you are really going to use this light locally in 6' viz then you are going to need more lumen output than 130 lumen and you are not going to want a flood light. The original light you mentioned is more like what you want. If it's for the tropics then the others mentioned would be a good start.

There are more efficient lights available then the smaller ones mentioned...4.7W for 130 lumens is not particularly efficient but they are good lights for the money.

My only concern with this "dive-light" is the definition of waterproof. If the depth is specified the only place I'd take it diving is my bath tub.

IPX8 standard explained!!! - CandlePowerForums

The Tusa is the same as Intova as stated above, I have one of each name.

Wide vs Narrow will definately play a role into required lumen output.

In low vis wide angle lights are blinding, think high beams in fog.

I have a similar light and I've had it to 100 fsw. Some others have had it to 150 fsw and deeper. It's not about the waterproof rating (I do understand your concerns), it just has a few design flaws that some of us are in the process of correcting (as guinea pigs).:wink:

The problem isn't so much that they aren't well made, it's just that they weren't adequately tested with a few modifications made as a result of those tests.

It may be something as simple as a spring that was a little too long which was keeping the bezel/glass from tightening down enough and compressing the sealing o-ring enough. I've since made that modification and no problems but I'd like to test it more.

I would design it a bit differently but it's a great light for the money and really there aren't that many comparable lights all things considered at any price. It's small due to the li-ion rechargeable batteries, it's bright due to the Cree MC-E so it ouputs at least 500 lumen and has a two hour burn time on rechargeables. It can be used hands free. It costs $95 (MC-E version).

It's brighter than my 10W HID. It's 1/3 the size and weight. The rechargeable batteries cost me $8.00.

Okay gcbryan, I like the way you are thinking and have been looking for an Intova Narrow angle led torch and have yet to find one. do you have a model #. I also have looked at packhorse's his modified W200 light.(wish he still did the smaller IST) It appears to be a 500+Lumen narrow focus light and I think its about $175US if I'm converting my Kiwis properly. What I would really like is a narrow angle torch small enough to put in my BC pocket or clipped to the shoulder strap, that will be used incase if I need it on low vis local daytime dives and as a bckup. I want this light as a peice of the equipment that me and my buddie (wife) always carry. I may be wrong but it could help in spoting each other when she gets 4 feet away in 3 feet of vis. We will take a local night course but will do all of our night diving in Mexico.

Here is a link for the Intova:
Diving Back-Up Lights - Dive Gear Express

Here's an even better choice (imo) from Dorcy but it will not be available until mid-January.
Dorcy 180 Lumen Submersible LED Dive Light

The W200 unmodified also has a tight beam. I have this and use it as my backup. This comes from DX but is well made (built like a tank) and I've heard of no problems with this light (nor have I experienced any).

It's only $38 and comes with free shipping (just allow about 1 month from time of order).
DealExtreme: $37.50 UltraFire W200 200-Meter Waterproof Diver's Cree P4-WC 176-Lumen LED Flashlight (3*AA)

The brightest light of course will either be the original light mentioned in the title of this thread, the MC-E version, or the Packhorse modified W200 (MC-E).
Okay gcbryan, I like the way you are thinking and have been looking for an Intova Narrow angle led torch and have yet to find one. do you have a model #. I also have looked at packhorse's his modified W200 light.(wish he still did the smaller IST) It appears to be a 500+Lumen narrow focus light and I think its about $175US if I'm converting my Kiwis properly. What I would really like is a narrow angle torch small enough to put in my BC pocket or clipped to the shoulder strap, that will be used incase if I need it on low vis local daytime dives and as a bckup. I want this light as a peice of the equipment that me and my buddie (wife) always carry. I may be wrong but it could help in spoting each other when she gets 4 feet away in 3 feet of vis. We will take a local night course but will do all of our night diving in Mexico.

You asked about a cree light. I make a light module that fits the UK SL4 and also the Halcyon scout lights using the Cree R2 LED. You can put together a SL4 with the Cree R2 mod for around $50. THe R2 is almost as bright as a 10w HID. Very nice pocket light and a good warm water primairy light.

You asked about a cree light. I make a light module that fits the UK SL4 and also the Halcyon scout lights using the Cree R2 LED. You can put together a SL4 with the Cree R2 mod for around $50. THe R2 is almost as bright as a 10w HID. Very nice pocket light and a good warm water primairy light.

The Cree XR-E R2 is rated at 220 lumens (if I'm not mistaken) vs the typical 450 lumens for a 10 W HID.

It is a bright tightly focused beam but it's hardly equivalent to a 10 W HID.

The W200 is just too big to fit into a BC pocket. Also the aspheric lens of the mod light causes very little spill light to the extent that I felt uncomfortable during night diving with it. Since then I filed a washer inside to widen the beam, still I like a bit more spill light so I don't feel like I'm looking into a narrow tunnel.

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom