Creature ID!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubakevdm

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Okay, I'm usually pretty good at name that fish, but I'm creature weak. This photo was taken at night in about 15 feet of water of a beach in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. The creature was about 3 inches long. In fact it was very similar in size and shape to a cheeto (the original kind, not the extra crunchy ones). I actually thought it was a very small sea cucumber of some sort when I took the picture. It is a head-on shot, the thing is pointed right at me. Unfortunately, I only took the one.

When I developed the film, I was suprised to find some junk coming out of his head. Maybe gills, eyes and stuff. The closest thing I can find in the Humann book is the warty sidegill slug. Maybe someone can do better. I'm posting a larger image in my SB gallery, as well as a version in which the transparent and difficult to see appendage is highlighted via the photoshop dodge tool.
07630004.jpg

07630004H.jpg

Okay. Apparently, the location of the creature is hard to discern in the original photo. I have darkened the frame, and highlighted the amimal so that you can find it, but please refer back to the original if you want to see the details that highligting the thing has blown out.

07630004sh.jpg

At first blush I'm thinking a cowrie with mantle fully deployed.
For example, here's a Measled cowrie with partially deployed mantle
Measled-cowrie-8103.jpg

I'll see if I can find anything that might lead to species.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom