Crazy idea (would it be worth it?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveUAE

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We're flying to Philippines by the end of the month, and our flights just got changed. So instead of spending a night in Manila (catching a flight at 5.45 am!) we now have 3 hours in Manila, then fly to CEB, arriving 7.45 pm.

The next day we transfer to Malapascua (private van and boat) Now my crazy idea:
I know high tide at Maya will be 5.45 pm, so thought it would be fine to leave Cebu around 12? Following that my first thought was: maybe we can do 1 or 2 dives in Mactan, before we leave???

I love muck diving, sea horses, pipe fish and nudies, but will it be worth it getting wet for 1-2 dives? I'm thinking 2 shore dives close to each other - any suggestions? We would probably rent equipment, so we don't have to travel with too much wet gear.

Will the experience be much different, compared to Malapascua and later Balicasag? Or am I just plain crazy for even considering this;-D

Alternatively, leave early and that will give you plenty of time for 2 -3 dives in Malapascua.

Alternatively, leave early and that will give you plenty of time for 2 -3 dives in Malapascua.

This was the original plan - when we were arriving 6.35 am to CEB, BUT my concern is the low tide, as we're travelling with my 73 year old mother in law, and have been reading it's best to avoid transfer from the small to the "big" boat.

I'd leave early and save the extra dives for Malapascua, if things work out. It is the Philippines after all, and delays happen.

This was the original plan - when we were arriving 6.35 am to CEB, BUT my concern is the low tide, as we're travelling with my 73 year old mother in law, and have been reading it's best to avoid transfer from the small to the "big" boat.
It was the case several years ago and was quite uncomfortable/tricky even to any able person. However, the addition of the sheltered "harbour" few yrs ago should have completely eliminated the practice.
Better consult with the resort on the island to confirm it.

Diving from Mactan Island is not bad but the better sites are quite a distance away. If you are willing to pay for the extra then anything is possible.

Any suggestion: how about a trip down to Oslob to snorkel with the whaleshark in the morning?

It was the case several years ago and was quite uncomfortable/tricky even to any able person. However, the addition of the sheltered "harbour" few yrs ago should have completely eliminated the practice.
Better consult with the resort on the island to confirm it.

Any suggestion: how about a trip down to Oslob to snorkel with the whaleshark in the morning?

Thank you! I did not know they have a new harbour, will check with the resort.

Not keen on Oslob, since I prefer any sightings of Whale Sharks to be not too crowded, and I don't really like the way the feed them there anyway (I know the whale sharks can just swim away, if they don't like it). We've seen whale sharks in Maldives and Tanzania - both times were terrible with too many people and boats around.

Back
Top Bottom