Cracking Zeagle 2nd stage housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

claymore

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Am I just unlucky or is there a problem with the Zeagle 2nd stage housings cracking? I have 4 ZX second stages and 2 of them have cracked where the hose enters the casing.
I only found the cracks because the regs were breathing wet and and found them when examining them for loose or damaged parts.
Has any one else had an issue with the Zeagle cases cracking.

I haven't noticed anything yet, but our dive team has only had our F7's for a couple years. We have one F8. I'm currently resisting the urge to walk away from the Orange Bowl and look at them closely.

Tighten a metal nut against a plastic body and the nut will usually win. Or you can avoid tightening that connection too much. Some are more suseptable than others but they can all be defeated by a sufficiently careless tech. Some add an oring to cushion the force.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like an interesting solution, putting an o-ring in as a cushion.

To be clear, what I have seen from Scubapro is an o-ring installed between the jam nut that holds the air barrel in the case and the hose nut that might otherwise apply more torque on the jam nut. While I expect you could get away with an o-ring between the case and the jam nut, that should not be necessary unless the case design is severely weak'

EDIT: Oops, my bad. I checked an S600 schematic and the o-ring is installed between the case and the jam nut.

Last edited by a moderator:
No you are not just unlucky. It is easy to crack the housing on a Zeagle ZX.

I cracked 1 Zeagle second stage @ the hose connection, or possibly just exposed an existing crack, by over tightening.

They don't crack?

Back
Top Bottom