Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am manage a luggage store in DFW are . Business has been strong recently due to the amount of Mexican citizens coming in to get vaccines. The Houston market is even stronger. I talk to people from all over Mexico every day. In the DFW most people are still masked up in public. One family from Mexico City was suprised with a visit to Walmart in Gainsville, they said almost no one was wearing a mask. But I guess they feel safe coming to Texas.

The state of Quintana Roo, Mexico where Cozumel is located will change to Orange 26 Apr 2021.

Some cities, Cancun for one, had seen a 100% increase in active cases in the last few weeks - we went thru this maybe a month ago too. The government here is trying like hell to keep people thinking about covid and paying attention, many are starting to just go about their lives.....

Cozumel seen a decrease in the number of active cases during this time.....

We are way busier than we have been in months, not since Christmas holidays - this being busier is to be expected to come with a rise in cases - it happened in January too.... Go about your business, pay attention to your suroundings and enjoy your vacation.

Difference between Orange and Yellow is small changes in capacity and gyms/sports activities close - and yes, our Father Pedro will will wave his wand and keep us here in Cozumel Yellow.

I just returned from the island for a quick 36 hour trip to sign some documents and I was actually impressed with how seriously they are taking things and how well they are following recommended protocols. Definitely safer than Texas or Florida and some other places.
Yes, we are operating under "Neanderthal thinking" now. When we came out of lockdown last year, my favorite grocery and Walmart had extra employees out cleaning cart handles and refer door handles. Not lately tho.
One family from Mexico City was suprised with a visit to Walmart in Gainsville, they said almost no one was wearing a mask.
Many in Lubbock stores I visited over the weekend were, but many weren't, including two owners of small shops I visited. Glad I'm fully jabbed. See my new avatar.

I am manage a luggage store in DFW are . Business has been strong recently due to the amount of Mexican citizens coming in to get vaccines. The Houston market is even stronger. I talk to people from all over Mexico every day. In the DFW most people are still masked up in public. One family from Mexico City was suprised with a visit to Walmart in Gainsville, they said almost no one was wearing a mask. But I guess they feel safe coming to Texas.
Good the more jabs to the most people possible, we are basically at an 'on-demand' point here in North Texas for vaccine, you signup on the Denton county site and you will receive an appointment email the following day for that or the following week, its scheduling now no real backlog. There was a 'just show up' site here on Saturday.

The US State Department has changed Mexico to a Level 4 Do Not Travel...

I'm headed to Cozumel in a few weeks does anyone know the current COVID situation?

If you aren't already, get vaccinated as quickly as possible. Even one dose of the Moderna or Pfizer vaccines give you very solid base immunity after a week or so.

The chances of picking up covid once fully vaccinated even as a front line health care worker at high risk of exposure is less than ~1 - 2%. And even then you have a tiny fraction of a percent chance of having any serious symptoms or being hospitalized.

While it's still early, study after study across the globe comes to the same conclusion. There really is no reason to worry if you practice any sort of safety and are vaccinated at this point.

Could things change in the future? Yes... but do you want to live the rest of you life in lock down? Stay informed and make a course correction when appropriate.

And for those of you who disagree with Florida and Texas's handling of Covid - Don't believe everything you hear from the liberally biased press... 95% of the time, they put a ridiculous spin on news to meet their agenda and certain viewers expectations.

I'm in the North Houston area. I ran Walmart today during the ~5pm after work rush... everyone in the store had masks on and did a reasonably decent job of social distancing. While in the store an annoucement came over store wide intercom from the pharmacy... there was currently no wait for either a Moderna or Pfizer vaccine shot and they were inviting shoppers to come by. I noticed a line as I passed by.

For anyone who wants to argue with either Texas or Florida's current covid strategy - Look at the current covid numbers for either state and explain why we don't have tens of thousands dying everyday as both states have been fully open for months. Then compare that to what's been happening in Michigan.

Perhaps staying in a less locked down state allowed more opportunity for natural spread and recovery, building herd immunity. Maybe its the weather or in the water. Who knows. The opportunity to spread is there, but the sky hasn't fallen.

Well in Michigan, we’ve been ahead of the curve ever since last March, with much of the country just six weeks behind. I just hope that vaccination rates get high enough to damp the surge that I anticipate will happen in the rest of the country. As with the 3.5 surges that we’ve had here, the sub regional experience is a quick rise, a plateau, and then a slower drop, but at different times in different counties depending on the public outside the hospital to “get the message” and slow down the get together. My hospital is starting downward as I can tell by my daily projection of in house testing rates for sick patients and the accompanying positivity rates. Both are starting to fall. There must be some combination of human psychology as well as viral biology that seems to make most surges go up, plateau, and then drop down within a month. The ones that keep up steady burn are the exception rather than the rule. Somebody smarter than me will come up with a formula to be sure.

I am leaving Friday for two weeks. I’ve been vaccinated, and I am not going to worry. Cozumel has always been my happy and safe place. I view the CDC with quite a bit of skepticism. From what I can find out, Coz has been pretty proactive with Covid protocols. Tourism is too important to them.
My advice for what it’s worth: Don’t go if you’re that concerned. I’ll blow enough bubbles for all of us!

And for those of you who disagree with Florida and Texas's handling of Covid - Don't believe everything you hear from the liberally biased press... 95% of the time, they put a ridiculous spin on news to meet their agenda and certain viewers expectations.

I'm in the North Houston area. I ran Walmart today during the ~5pm after work rush... everyone in the store had masks on
I'd believe that if I actually saw it.

Properly wearing masks has long been known to be our best defense, they knew that in 1918 but in early 2020 they downplayed it at first to avoid overwhelming early supplies, but we've had over a year to learn to cover our noses as well as mouths, yet our Governor canceled that mandate on March 2, an Independence Day celebration perhaps - but still Neanderthal thinking. My views and experiences in the Lubbock-Plainview area have been quite different, much lower participation, and now I can't even insist that employees mask up. Then he said that we were close to herd immunity. He seems to be a science denier. Masks are still our best, easiest, and cheapest defense but usage is failing, and the nation is only a little more than a quarter fully vaccinated. See my new avatar.

I am leaving Friday for two weeks. I’ve been vaccinated, and I am not going to worry. Cozumel has always been my happy and safe place. I view the CDC with quite a bit of skepticism. From what I can find out, Coz has been pretty proactive with Covid protocols. Tourism is too important to them.
My advice for what it’s worth: Don’t go if you’re that concerned. I’ll blow enough bubbles for all of us!
Just asking for advice, I plan to go...

I'd believe that if I actually saw it.

Properly wearing masks has long been known to be our best defense, they knew that in 1918 but in early 2020 they downplayed it at first to avoid overwhelming early supplies, but we've had over a year to learn to cover our noses as well as mouths, yet our Governor canceled that mandate on March 2, an Independence Day celebration perhaps - but still Neanderthal thinking. My views and experiences in the Lubbock-Plainview area have been quite different, much lower participation, and now I can't even insist that employees mask up. Then he said that we were close to herd immunity. He seems to be a science denier. Masks are still our best, easiest, and cheapest defense but usage is failing, and the nation is only a little more than a quarter fully vaccinated. See my new avatar.

Vaccination is our best and easiest defense. Short of vaccinations, masks are better than nothing.

However - Masks get contaminated and reusable masks don't get properly sanitized. Masks don't always seal properly. People are human and let their guard down when removing masks and/or by touching their faces. Covid can be transmitted via contact with the eyes. Do you wear a full face shield? This list goes on and on. Perhaps our scuba gear would provide a better defense... but I'm not wearing mine out to the store.

As for the mask mandate - I've yet to see anyone arrested or even harassed for wearing a mask. It's your choice to wear one. If you own a private business you can require masks for entry into your establishment... or you can decide to keep your public space closed to customers. We have local restaurants still closed for in-person dinning... but that's their choice based on their tolerance for risk.

I wear a mask indoors in public and I was first in line for a vaccine once they were open to the general populace... but I respect the rights of others even if I disagree with their decisions.

But honestly, if medical facilities aren't being overrun and people aren't falling over dead, what difference does it make for life to go back to normal for people willing to take this risk? Nearly everyone in the US in a situation that puts them at serious risk has an opportunity to get a covid vaccine at this point.

As for getting a bad bout of covid after being fully vaccinated - Your risk of dying in an auto accident is higher than being admitted to the hospital for covid. Do you drive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom