Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver-K

Reaction score
We're trying to plan a trip to Cozumel the first week in April. Debating Cozumeleno vs. Fiesta Americana. Any suggestions? My wife and I will both be doing our second dive after PADI Open Water Cert. We enjoy colorful coral and interesting sealife. We also like a nice beach to lay out on and snorkel off of. We're also debating taking our two kids (4 and 7). Is there a good resort to trust our children with while we dive? Is it worth staying a couple days in Playa Del Carmen to see the cenotes? Is Isla de Mujeres worth seeing (during spring break)?

:shades:

My wife and I are going to Cozumel on a trip planned by the LDS. Our trip leader has said that the Fiesta Americanna Dive resort is the best he has found in the area. I visited thier website just to get a feel for the ammenities and found just about everything we would ask for in a dive resort.

My wife and family always stay at the Reef Club. They have a great kids activity club you can utilize while your diving. Or you can do like we do and use Scuba Gamma...52-987-872-0011, dive@scubagamma.com. Jason, the owner rarely checks email so it is best to call. Tell him you want a private boad with Kalusha as your captain. He is a great guy and father. My kids always talk about him. Just take the kids with you on the boat..if your willing to and they are old enough. You just cant have him June 20th - 30th because I already do.

Stay away from the Island of the Women unless your into small hotels and diners. Sharks are not there like they use to be.

PLC is a little to developed for me. I prefer to be way out from everyone...like a 20 dollar cab fare at least. It all depends what you want. But if your into being isolated...Go to the Reef Club or even further south. Its not a bad deal for an all inclusive.

Good Luck,
Matt:)

You use to see dozens of sharks including Bull Sharks at the Cave of The Sleeping Sharks. All of the Bulls are gone as well as most of the Nurse Sharks. Luckey to see any now.;-0

1. (Q) "We're debating Cozumeleno vs. Fiesta Americana. Any suggestions? My wife and I will both be doing our second dive after PADI Open Water Cert. We enjoy colorful coral and interesting sealife. We also like a nice beach to lay out on and snorkel off of."

(A) EC is far north, while FA is far south. About a $3 cab ride o/w to town from EC, about $6 o/w from FA.

FA is much closer to the commonly dived reefs, so near that most surface intervals will be back at the resort. Southern reefs are a long boat ride from EC, so surface intervals will be at one of the commercial beaches down that way

EC has the better beach & is right on it. FA 's is across the main road, mostly man-made & smallish.

EC has far better snorkeling.

BTW, I think EC's food is better.

2 (Q) "Is there a good resort to trust our children with while we dive?"

(A) EC is probably a bit more family oriented, but both are generally considered fully trustworthy in this regard.

3. (Q) "Is it worth staying a couple days in Playa Del Carmen to see the cenotes?"

(A) It is in my opinion. Very different than ocean diving. Also, PDC has a different feel than Coz & should be experienced.

4. (Q) "Is Isla de Mujeres worth seeing (during spring break)?"

(A) I would not take time away from Coz & PDC in order to see it.

Helpful?

DocVikingo

Back
Top Bottom