Cozumel what to expect now

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A cruise ship in port at Cozumel effects a reef how? The water delivery truck belching black smoke I just followed back from the marina has more effect.
Liquid and gas discharge along with damages by pier building and by vessel strikes.

Liquid and gas discharge along with damages by pier building and by vessel strikes.
Did the reef closure help the reef and/or did the cruise ship stopage effect the reef - that was the questions as I understand them.

Liquid and gas discharge that might occur into a current that would carry anything away from the southern marine park - zero effect

Damages by pier building?? I have not seen any piers built within the marine park.... - zero effect

Vessel strikes?? I have seen a few large rental boats out of Cancun that have anchored within the park the last few years but no cruise ship strikes..... zero effect by cruise ships

Liquid and gas discharge that might occur into a current that would carry anything away from the southern marine park
I doubt that their emitted toxins are swept away fast enough to negate local damages. The northern reefs are hit more, sure, but their poisons spread. They burn the cheapest, dirtiest bunker oil, then when they leave and head south, dump their sewage tanks into the current headed toward the park.
Damages by pier building?? I have not seen any piers built within the marine park
How much of Paradise reef was destroyed building that pier, and they won't quit trying to build the third one.
Vessel strikes??
They have been recorded. I'm surprised that you defend those damaging barges.

They have been recorded. I'm surprised that you defend those damaging barges.

Because of a few things - I think the damage is way way overstated and many statements are mixed in with pure falecy. There are a lot of ships cruising the ocean, the cruise industry is a very low percentage.

Knocking the cruise industry is part of searching for what I will call that last 2% of gain. We'd gain much more by targeting India and China for dirty energy - why the Paris agreement sucks - and right here in little old Cozumel - pick the trash up!!!!! The trash and debris flowing into the ocean from landbased operations has to be mind boggling. Do you spend your energy at the remaining 2% or take easy swaths at the 40-50% problems? Where is your biggest gain?

Lastly - the economy. Oh how the people on here cried for the good folks of Cozumel but yet you oppose their source of income....... Hypocroysy. We have more than enough half completed projects and vacant buildings......

A big problem is sewage and pollution going into the water. Lots of construction on the island. Indirectly the cruise ships damage the reef because of the amount of people that go to the many beach clubs. Ever go to some of the beach clubs and see brown water? There is no treatment plant servicing south of the town. I spoke with a biologist from Florida who works for the govt. She was not impressed with the reef here this summer and mentioned pollution as a contributing factor. So sure it was cleaner looking when no ships here because there was a huge decline in the pollutants. The ships won't discharge in port. Maybe they do out in open ocean who knows? With the amount of increasing traffic on this island it's gonna have a detrimental effect that's for sure. Some people call it progress. It was sure nice 20 years ago for those who know. It has definitely changed.

A big problem is sewage and pollution going into the water. Lots of construction on the island. Indirectly the cruise ships damage the reef because of the amount of people that go to the many beach clubs. Ever go to some of the beach clubs and see brown water? There is no treatment plant servicing south of the town. I spoke with a biologist from Florida who works for the govt. She was not impressed with the reef here this summer and mentioned pollution as a contributing factor. So sure it was cleaner looking when no ships here because there was a huge decline in the pollutants. The ships won't discharge in port. Maybe they do out in open ocean who knows? With the amount of increasing traffic on this island it's gonna have a detrimental effect that's for sure. Some people call it progress. It was sure nice 20 years ago for those who know. It has definitely changed.
One of my client did research on full reef system there, the findings were directly related to sewage, not just Cozumel, the whole way down.

Reactions: JFS
I'm not totally anti-cruiseship, but there have been a number of incidents of anchor chain damage reported over the years. Here's one I just happen to recall: Cruise Ship Damage?

I also think the "must have more cruise ships for the economy" is a bit of a chicken or the egg scenario -- the population has grown rapidly, largely as a function of increased tourist traffic. So I think it may be a little inaccurate when people say the "locals" need more cruise traffic -- is that just native Cozumelenos, or the people who moved their from CDMX 3 years ago because of cruise traffic, etc., etc.? This little island is already one of the 5 busiest cruise ports in the world. I don't know the total solution, but at some point "more, more, more ships" will take it's toll (reefs, pollution, prices, traffic, etc.).

Yes, @JFS -- coming up on 25 years since my first trip to the island. Still love it, but sad at some of the changes.

One of my client did research on full reef system there, the findings were directly related to sewage, not just Cozumel, the whole way down.
On the mainland its the same. They just built a treatment plant in Chetumal. If you think those crystal clear cenotes near Tulum are clean..... better think about wearing a haz mat suit in some of them. I avoid a lot of the cenotes now. Its sad because its such a connected system too and is being affected. The govt has even issued closure notices to some of the cenotes because of the pollution.

Interesting. My last dive trip was to Bonaire (first time there). One thing I noticed is that my rash guard and shorts didn't smell like holy hell the next day.

Reactions: JFS
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom