Cozumel Turtles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

warmwaterturner

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
FYI - Article from Cozumel 4U - :thumb:

First Turtle Nests of the Season Already Discovered

The first two turtle nests of the year have already been registered, reported Héctor González Cortez, the new Director of Ecology & Environment. Turtle Nesting Season in Cozumel takes place between late April to early September. Although Cozumel hosts 4 different kinds of turtles, the most common are the green turtle (Chelonia mydas) and the loggerhead turtle (Caretta caretta). These turtles lay nests with an average of 150-200 eggs, and can nest up to 6 times in one season. Due to the efforts of Volunteers as well as city and state officials, last years’ turtle season was the biggest ever with over 3,900 nests marked.

I got to get over there this trip. If one does not want to invest an entire day of volunteer work, are there half day programs or tours...?

We met up with them about three or four in the afternoon. During September nests are "assisted" with hatching. This is done late afternoon until dark. The folks at Blue Angel Dive Resort are very closely associated with the program. I would drop them a line if I were interested in participating. They actually picked us up from the hotel and drove us "volunteers" to the site to meet the director and he took us to the nests that were due to hatch. If you just want to go to see the area I was told to grab a cab and ask them to take you to the turtle nest area on the east side of the island. They know where to go but if you want to participate in the dig - email BA - they are always looking for help. Thanks!

Attachments

• Cozumel 2010 188.JPG
    Cozumel 2010 188.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Cozumel 2010 186.JPG
    Cozumel 2010 186.JPG
    226.4 KB · Views: 32
my wife and i went over in october to help the turtles. we left from the hotel in the afternoon and worked on nests until sunset. well worth the time and energy. giving life is an incredible feeling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom