Cozumel Trip Report 7 - 14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

z28pwr

Reaction score
Plane took off from San Antonio to Cozumel at 7:30 AM if I recall correctly and got to the hotel around 10:30 AM. Checked into our rooms at the Brisas hotel where we did the all inclusive plan and walked into town which seemed very far to us the first day but then became a short walk after getting used to it. Taxi's from the hotel into downtown were only $3 dollars but we liked to walk.

The hotel was nothing fancy but it was a nice facility with a friendly staff. The breakfast was good, lunch was alright and dinner was not so good. They didn't have much choice of beer only Dos Equis and you had to pay extra for Superior but we weren't there to get drunk, we were there to dive and see the island so this wasn't a problem for us. The internet access was quick the first few days that it worked (Didn't work after Claudette).

We did all our diving with Fernando from Mantaraya Divers ( www.mantaraya.com ), since it was our first dive after certification we were a little worried but Fernando and his staff took excellent care of us. We had originally planned to dive 3 days but on the second dive of the first day my girlfriend hurt her ears and was diagnosed with second stage BaroTrauma which kept us out of the water for a couple of days but after some medicine and a few days her ears cleared up and the doctor allowed her one more dive as long as she didn't have any problems therefore we dove again on Saturday. I did 2 dives and she did the shallower dive without any problem. We felt really safe on Saturday since there were 4 Divemasters out of 15 people and Sammuel from Mantaraya took special care of my girlfriend to insure she didn't hurt her ears again.

Since we couldn't dive for 2 days we decided to rent a moped and go around the Island. The cost for the Moped rental with insurance was $32 dollars from the Hotel operator. We wen't around the island and to the Mayan ruins but at a top speed of 30 MPH the ride was very long and butt hurting
:( .

On Sunday we took the fairy into Playa Del Carmen then took a bus into Cancun and hit the Hotels. We weren't very thrilled with Cancun since I guess it's mostly a party town that comes to life at night time.

All in all we had a great time and took lot's of pictures which can be seen here:

http://www.z28pwr.com/images/Cozumel_07_2003

Can't wait to go back.

My husband and I are heading to Coz in Aug. and we
are staying at Brisas. Can't wait!!!!!
How were the beds? Were they hard?
What was your favorite part of the trip?

scubajen once bubbled...
My husband and I are heading to Coz in Aug. and we
are staying at Brisas. Can't wait!!!!!
How were the beds? Were they hard?
What was your favorite part of the trip?

Beds were hard but that didn't bother us much.
My favorite part of the trip was the diving and the dinning in town.

Some good restaurants are:

Guidos
French Quarters
Palmeras

Good Luck.

I went to Hotel Brisas in March 2002, back then it was called the Costa Club, I didn't think they did that much renovations on it, especially in the beach area....

Do they still have that tunnel that goes from the hotel to the beach area?:confused:

nice photos what kind of camera do you use. I went to coz last week and we rented a jeep fror 24 hours at 80 bucks with insurance and that was a much nicer way to travel around the island, we also got to offroad and drive mud and on the sand.

montereydivemas once bubbled...
nice photos what kind of camera do you use. I went to coz last week and we rented a jeep fror 24 hours at 80 bucks with insurance and that was a much nicer way to travel around the island, we also got to offroad and drive mud and on the sand.
Who did you rent from, and did you make rental reservations ahead of time or just walk-in?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom