Cozumel Trip Report 1/28-2/4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

midwestdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
It took me almost four years before making my second trip to Cozumel. Boy, why did I wait so long. I stayed at Meson San Miguel as I was traveling solo. Rooms were simple and clean but suited me fine. As it was right at the square and the first several days of my trip coincided with carnaval, it was noisy. However, that was no problem with me. I kinda enjoyed it actually and had no trouble sleeping. It might have given some people problems, though.

Finally get to dive with Blue Xtsea Diving and found out why just about everyone raves about this operation. I was well taken care of. All I had to was drop off my gear the night before my first dive and set up my gear during the first dive (I was diving BP and long hose). After that, all I had to do was do a second check to make sure everything was setup correctly (for my own peace of mind). I did get a private DM on my first 3 days just for my own convenience. Boy, was I glad as I was terrible at spotting stuff and my DM, Juan, was very good at it.

I got to meet some of the SB folk at La Choza on the 28th (Love2FishFork probably has a photo of the group). The food was great. I had no qualms eating street food and I couldn't get enough of that fried bananas (plantain) covered in condensed milk (a diabetic's nightmare). Special thanks to Blanca from Blue XTsea for recommending Los Otates. Man, those tacos and burritos were heavenly. I pigged out on them :D .

Overall, a wonderful trip. My only disappointment from this trip was I never got to see a spotted eagle ray :( . Oh well, makes for a good excuse for a return trip, don't you think?

Some amateurish photos....

Fighting lobsters. After this dive, I just had to eat some lobsters. Man, they were delicious!!

2251620084_f2be0b79ce.jpg

Eels...

2251619922_a21eedd27a.jpg

2250824683_229a351674.jpg

Red Hind....

2250824739_e93127773f.jpg

Splendid toadfish. I've yet to see this creature completely out of its hole.

2250824907_47c838cd55.jpg

Hmmm, can anyone id this fish?

2250825547_55236693de.jpg

Some night dive photos (dove with Pedro and Magoo)....

2250825371_37f7a1f360.jpg

2251620518_56b0f9c686.jpg

2251620330_2d6c95f524.jpg

Very nice pictures! What kind of setup do you have? Those shots are crystal clear.

Thanks, divecozumel. I use a canon a620 in an ike housing and an inon d2000 strobe. The clarity is due to the waters in Cozumel. The viz was great for me although I've been told that it could be even better.

Hey midwestdvr! Beautiful shots! I'm still here, I think that toadfish is Pumba's twin. He's a divemaster at Blue Angel. It was good to see you at La Chosa. Did a night dive tonight, man was there ever alot of critters there, dove Paradise reef. Very shallow, vis 60ft. Didnt matter it was dark. A lot of fun. The toads come out at night.

Hey midwestdvr! Beautiful shots! I'm still here, I think that toadfish is Pumba's twin. He's a divemaster at Blue Angel. It was good to see you at La Chosa. Did a night dive tonight, man was there ever alot of critters there, dove Paradise reef. Very shallow, vis 60ft. Didnt matter it was dark. A lot of fun. The toads come out at night.
man, you're killing me here. I hated to leave. it was nice meeting you too.

the fish that is coming out of the sand is a yellow headed jawfish. Great shots!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom