Cozumel Tours experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wiznutaggie

Contributor
Reaction score
Just booked my first trip to Cozumel at the end of December and came across "Cozumel Tours" when looking for dive ops. They've got some good prices compared to everything else I've found, but I'm very leery of it, as they don't mention any specific dive shop it goes through. Has anybody ever booked through them and how was the experience?

We've booked several different tours (scuba certification, Harley tour, snorkel tour, chocolate tour, etc.) through that website over the years, and always had good experiences. That said, I have not booked regular diving through them. I am guessing that they might rotate between different operators, but I'm not sure.

Pricing is good through that site, and it can be nice that their dives start at 9 a.m. You'll have to meet them at the marina, while some other recommended dive ops (Tres Pelicanos, etc.) will provide rides from their shop in town (so factor in the cost of taxi if not renting a car already). Also, I'm guessing that the Cozumel Tours dive op will not provide VIP/valet service (rinsing your gear, taking gear to and from the boat, storing it for multiple days of diving, etc.) if that is important to you.

Cozumel Tours is a tour reseller who is getting commissions. They are not the tour operator. You are better off contacting a dive business.
No doubt they are a reseller, but for several tours we did with them the price was still less than what the tour operator advertised. So, if tour price is the determining factor they may still be the cheapest. I'm guessing tour operators do this to fill up their tours.

For 2-tank boat dives, I don't recall seeing any dive op in Cozumel advertising $72 + marine park fees for a single dive trip. A few might come close to that rate if you book a 5 or 7 day package (Cozumel Dive School lists $369 for 5 days and $499 for 7 days, including marine park fees and "all equipment"). As I mentioned above, there are other factors to consider (transportation, valet, etc.). Also, if a person wants to rent gear or have nitrox, the Cozumel Tours prices are a bit high for that.

Sounds like a "priceline" model.

"Cozumel Tours" when looking for dive ops. They've got some good prices compared to everything else I've found, but I'm very leery of it, as they don't mention any specific dive shop it goes through.
Same price as what I pay at Salty Endeavors as a repeat customer, and I certainly want to know who I am booking with. You would go with whichever Op they could book with for the least money each day.
For 2-tank boat dives, I don't recall seeing any dive op in Cozumel advertising $72 + marine park fees for a single dive trip. A few might come close to that rate if you book a 5 or 7 day package
Yeah, Salty is $76USD with five trips, $72USD with ten - including repeat customer credits.
Pricing is good through that site, and it can be nice that their dives start at 9 a.m. You'll have to meet them at the marina,
I like being picked up at a dock close to my hotel. The marina trip would kill it for me, but that's me.
I'm guessing that the Cozumel Tours dive op will not provide VIP/valet service (rinsing your gear, taking gear to and from the boat, storing it for multiple days of diving, etc.) if that is important to you.
And that would kill it for me as well.

There is no way I’d book not knowing who my dive shop would be. I do a lot of research on my dive shop when I go to a new place. I’m looking for certain criteria to be met.

There is no way I’d book not knowing who my dive shop would be. I do a lot of research on my dive shop when I go to a new place. I’m looking for certain criteria to be met.
Exactly. I do a ton of research as well with what company I might want to dive. I'd never jump in to a purchase not knowing with who I would end up with just to save a few dollars.
Not saying it might not be great and a hell of a deal, I'm just not into the unknown possibilities.

I have spent tons on scuba diving over the years, so I would not chance my experience on an unknown provider just because it saves me a few dollars.

Exactly. I do a ton of research as well with what company I might want to dive. I'd never jump in to a purchase not knowing with who I would end up with just to save a few dollars.
Not saying it might not be great and a hell of a deal, I'm just not into the unknown possibilities.

I have spent tons on scuba diving over the years, so I would not chance my experience on an unknown provider just because it saves me a few dollars.
Yo tambien. I have a preferred dive op; I know them and they know me. They are a few dollars more expensive than the quoted rate for these guys, but not nearly enough so to move the needle for me. I would hazard a guess that the majority of Cozumel Tours' customers are not Cozumel "regulars" like many of us are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom