Cozumel Totally Destroyed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mawg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got back after 6 days in Cozumel and this is my trip report. I am not sure where to begin. It was an ABSOLUTE nightmare to say the least. We got our first shock at the Airport when we discovered that because there is no gasoline on the island, we would have to ride burros to our hotel. As we rode down Melgar and got closer to the square, we began to encounter corpses lying in the streets. They were everywhere, rotting and the smell was horrible. Most of the shops had been torched and everywhere you looked, merchandise was thrown on the ground and discarded as worthless, except for T-Shirts. I didn't see a single T-Shirt. As we approached what was once the Ferry Landing, now a smoldering pile of rubble, two men in kakhis and bright yellow polo shirts ran over to us and said if we would come to a meeting they were conducting for just 30 minutes .......... but before he could finish, my donkey kicked him square in the pelotas and we moved on.

Nine hours later, we arrived at our hotel or what is left of it. The El Fiesta Occidental del Sol Blu is barely standing but the staff is there and graciously invites us in. Outside, I hear a pistol shot and discover later that one of the Burros was so exhausted, he had to be put down. Looks like we'll be dining on Burritos for the next few days. The hotel is in pretty bad shape but hey, its a roof and 4 walls , well 3 walls anyway. Not gonna bore you with the hotel. I CAME HERE TO DIVE! I LIVE TO DIVE! DIVE DIVE DIVE!

The next moring Pasquale, my long time friend and Dive Master, knocks on our door, well door frame to be exact, there is no door. As I gather up my gear and head toward the beach, P tells me he no longer has a boat. It is at the bottom of Caleta Harbor and has 78 other boats on top of it. Bummer. But not to worry, P tells me there is a reef just offshore from the hotel that we can swim to. I asked what the name of the reef is and he says it is called " El Taco Grande " . I dont speak spanish so it meant nothing to me. We geared up, swam out and soon we were in deep water and descended. The first thing I saw was the fourth wall to my room and the door.Then, we saw lots of fish, big ones, little ones, bright colored ones, sharks, turtles and well, you name it. All dead and lying on the bottom and some strewn across the reef. Now, some of you might find this discouraging. You might be tempted to post negative comments about Cozumel diving. That's because you've never been diving in HONDURAS! I have!

Now that I have your attention, I love Cozumel. I love the people there. I have my favorite restaurants, wish the Rincon Maya was still open. When I retire in about 4 years, I intend to spend a lot more time down there. I plan on working with veterinarians who volunteer in Cozumel. Yes, I will still dive and fish. BUT, that is not the only reason I go to Cozumel. I'm sure a lot of you feel the same.

Obviously an error. Cozumel has not been effected by any storms since Gilbert.

Great, objective trip report! BTW, how were the burro burritos? I hear that they are horrible post Wilma and that the cost has gone up to $120 (pesos) per burrito, and are unsafe to eat if you add lettuce and guacamole, and wash it down with margaritas made with ice and that bottom shelf rotgut tequila.

Everybody's a comedian!! Thanks for a good laugh.

awap:
Obviously an error. Cozumel has not been effected by any storms since Gilbert.

read it to the end my friend. :)

they got pounded last fall...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom