Cozumel snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This one leaves from the Money bar (according to what I've read) & gets great reviews. Tiger Aguilar Aguilar Reviews - Cozumel, Quintana Roo Attractions - TripAdvisor

And the other very popular one leaves from Playa Palancar which is a pricy taxi ride from town but it does the best shallow areas at the south end including Colombia Shallows. I don't know if there is an actual name for that business nor it's schedule but it's about $35-$40 per person.

In Cozumel, I prefer shore snorkeling, so I'd split for the day while you scuba. Chankanaab is fabulous and so is Money Bar. I prefer Money Bar because it is a -cheap!- day. Easy cab ride from the cruise port, no entry fee, good prices on food and beverages, and good snorkeling. Chankanaab was really good snorkeling, but the entry fee makes it a lot more expensive.

At least for me, boat trips (which granted, I haven't done in Cozumel, since we always shore snorkeled, but we've done at lots of other islands on cruises) are never as good snorkeling because while the visibility is great, the reefs are too deep for snorkeling if you aren't a strong free diver. (We had boat loads of snorkelers over us at Paradise Reef, and I was wondering how much they were really seeing- since we were diving 25+ feet below them at the level of the reef.)

There are a number of dive ops that will do combined scuba/snorkeling trips though if that is what you want. Just email your desired ops and ask.

Tiger's boat is a REAL party boat. Never been on it, but I have sent friends. It is an experience.

The missus took mom with friends on Rita's boat last month and had a great time as well: Albatros Charters | Cozumel Mexico They had a great time.

You can find ops to mix diving and snorkeling, but in makes a rough mix picking dive sites that are good for both diving and snorkeling.

I also like snorkeling/diving trips with Rita at Albatros charters. She has a great trip to Ciello that includes snorkeling in two spots followed by time at Ciello which is a beautiful spot to swim and float in the water. She does not run a party boat kind of tour that Tiger tends to do. If you have not already made plans to dive, she may be able to plan a trip that can include diving and snorkeling. Enjoy your day in Cozumel.

I would either take a taxi to money bar and snorkel there, then have lunch and drinks, or for a boat trip check out Blue Angel with Tony Vilet.
They offer a nice fun/snorkeling trip with food and drinks.
Also check out Albatross as they have a very nice snorkeling trip, check with Martin Lopez for pricing. I believe they are located on Avenida 5 and Calle 3.:snorkel2:

Last edited:
Snorkeling from the Money bar to the old Fiesta Americana is nice, and shallow. Stick close to the shore and you'll see almost every juvenile fish species Cozumel has to offer. My favorite shore snorkel is off the beach near the Punta Sur lighthouse. You'll have to swim out about 150 yards. Sometimes they'll have guides that will paddle you out and back. The reef is only about 6-9 feet deep, but loaded with color and fish. The last time I went I saw nurse sharks, turtles, schools of tropicals, and barracuda. The reef is covered with colorful sea fans swaying in the current. It beats any place I ever went on a snorkel boat.

The reef is only about 6-9 feet deep, but loaded with color and fish. The last time I went I saw nurse sharks, turtles, schools of tropicals, and barracuda. The reef is covered with colorful sea fans swaying in the current. It beats any place I ever went on a snorkel boat.

That sounds fabulous! And the right depth for snorkeling- generally too deep to step on if you stand up, but shallow enough to easily dive to see.

Back
Top Bottom