Question Cozumel snorkeling for group of non divers - recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guille G

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Cozumel regulars! Slightly off topic question. My brother and his wife are visiting. They are not divers but I want to show them the coral reef and hopefully some abundant sea life - give them a peep at what I like so much about the ocean.

The sargassum has killed my two first options in Puerto Morelos and Akumal, so I’m doing a day in Cozumel. Do you have recommendations for good snorkeling? It can be off the shore on our own, or a tour- though I’d only do the latter with a recommended operator.

Any other recommendations for “a day in the island” with non-divers would be super welcome!!

Isla Mujeres?

Isla Mujeres?
Is there any decent snorkeling in Isla Mujeres? We’ve been discussing going there for the great beach, but I don’t remember any snorkeling being offered and don’t see much online. MUSA is not very interesting, unless there is a good reef nearby?

No. You're right. MUSA sucks. However, Manchones 1, 2, and 3, Pilas, and a few others are great for snorkeling. 20-40 foot depth, reefs are in decent shape, no current, Playa Norte, and more bars than you can count. I highly recommend PocNa for the dive shop. Tracy runs a tight ship and you can use the pool and lounge area (Hostel Selina) after the trip. They are located right down the street from Playa Norte.

We've done this same snorkel tour a couple of times, and always enjoyed it. It covers 2 reefs (Columbia and Palancar) plus a shallow area with clear water and lots of starfish (and various other critters) called El Cielo: Cozumel Snorkeling Tour | Best Snorkeling in Cozumel to 3 Best Reefs & El Cielo

As for other recommendations, we have booked several different tours through this website over the years -- they are the booking agent for others, but we have had great experiences with them on Cozumel: Create Unforgettable Adventures in Cozumel!

No. You're right. MUSA sucks. However, Manchones 1, 2, and 3, Pilas, and a few others are great for snorkeling. 20-40 foot depth, reefs are in decent shape, no current, Playa Norte, and more bars than you can count. I highly recommend PocNa for the dive shop. Tracy runs a tight ship and you can use the pool and lounge area (Hostel Selina) after the trip. They are located right down the street from Playa Norte.
Thank you! I’ll ask them if they can arrange a snorkeling trip with no divers on board.

We've done this same snorkel tour a couple of times, and always enjoyed it. It covers 2 reefs (Columbia and Palancar) plus a shallow area with clear water and lots of starfish (and various other critters) called El Cielo: Cozumel Snorkeling Tour | Best Snorkeling in Cozumel to 3 Best Reefs & El Cielo
I agree with Rob9876's suggestion. We've done this a couple times when we had big family trips and everybody enjoyed it. We didn't use the tour company he mentioned but hired our Dive op as a private charter and loaded up the cooler and floaties and had a great time. You could also have a dive master go with you and have your guests try a "resort" or Intro Dive since they are less than 30' deep.

The only problem with Cielo is the hammerheads...
Wouldn't that be nice? I'd love to see one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom