Cozumel Shore Diving Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GEColbert

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I haven't been diving in Cozumel for a few years, and it seems that a couple of places that I liked back then are not what they were then?

There used to be an easy shore dive that was great for getting refamiliarized and for night dives that I always called the La Ceba (sp) Airplane site. From looking at maps, it looks like this might now be under the cruise ship docks? This site had an airplane (I'm sure the hurricanes have destroyed) and several nice smaller coral heads. Is this the same place that people are calling Tikila now? The hotel had a dive shop where you could get tanks and weights on their beach.

There was also a nice little reef right across from the VillaBlanca Garden Inn with an easy entrance and a dive shop right there. Is this still a nice dive or has time passed for it? Can anyone tell me who the dive shop is (I'm thinking of staying at VillaBlanca).

Can you still dive Paradise, or have the cruise ships ruined it? This was always a favorite night dive for me.

Sorry for the silly questions, but you can't always go back.

Those shore dive sites are still around. The plane is still there off La Ceiba near the shore in 15-20' with a large anchor nearby. It's a couple hundred yards south of Tikila and just north of the cruise ship pier. You can also rent tanks and dive from Scuba Shack which is closer to it. I think the shops at VillaBlanca are Papa Hogs and Scuba Mau.

+1 to @ReefHound post.

El Cid La Ceiba (just stayed there 2 weeks ago) is where the airplane wreck was/is located - pretty beat up from what I've heard - I snorkeled around but didn't go that far out. The onsite dive op, Babieca, is still there. They are convenient, offering shore dives (unguided as long as there are 2 divers.) I saw several shore divers from El Cid to Tikila, both day and night. They also will do an afternoon dive to Villablanca Reef.

Paradise is still a favorite night dive site. There are several dive ops in that area that will take you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom