Cozumel retirement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lawman

Reaction score
could someone of modest means
retire in Cozumel? Is there housing
for, say, 6 months out of the year
that a retiree could rent? I'm just
curious.

Lawman once bubbled...
could someone of modest means
retire in Cozumel? Is there housing
for, say, 6 months out of the year
that a retiree could rent? I'm just
curious.

If you are considering retirement in Cozumel then will you need a cabana boy :mean:

Housing is really not that expensive. I'm living in a modest 2 bdr close to the airport for $300 a month. I've seen many similar houses for about the same price. But---everything else has gotten way too expensive with the massive influx of tourists via the cruise ship explosion. I'm leaving the end of this month coming back to the states!

scubad26 once bubbled...
Housing is really not that expensive. I'm living in a modest 2 bdr close to the airport for $300 a month. I've seen many similar houses for about the same price. But---everything else has gotten way too expensive with the massive influx of tourists via the cruise ship explosion. I'm leaving the end of this month coming back to the states!

You are absolutely right when you say Cozumel is getting too expensive. I have been travelling to Mexico off and on for 15 years and to different locations. This month will be my third in the last 4 years alone and I have never been anywhere in Mexico as expensive as Cozumel. We use to go alot to the west coast of Mexico and couldn't believe how inexpensive everything was and I have found it to be a big contrast to the Caribbean side/ yucatan/Mayan Riviera/ Cozumel. Yes no doubt the large amount of cruise ship tourists have a big part in the prices going up..
I do hover like not seeing the poverty in Cozumel that is so evident elsewhere on the mainland, I also hope they don't eventually price themselves out of the water. Mexico has for years enjoyed an abundance of tourists ($$$$$$) because of what a great bargain it has been to travel to such a beautiful Country. In the past many vacationers have decided on Mexico over other destinations that are also beautiful on price alone, I just hope the price of going to Mexico and being there never gets to the point that travellers will choose to go elsewhere.

the overpriced Carib destinations
are going to have a run for their
$$$$$. It will be close, cheap and
big. It will also be hungry for dollars.

I hope that keeps prices down elsewhere.

Lawman once bubbled...

Cuba has always been open to us and you being in Michigan could just head east and Cross in to Windsor we have flights right out of our small airport direct into various spots in Cuba and from what I understand you Americans when travelling with an American passport to Cuba go through Cuban customs and they won't stamp it so the U.S government doesn't know you have been there if it is ever checked

Gotta love that " when Cuba opens up" hehehe I understand we should all try Trinidad, Cuba for great unspoiled diving, lack of snorklers wipin out the off shore. ( hit take a used shorty or full suit the inexpensive kind and give it to the dive personel there they dont have ready access to gear. Can you say US embargo. Only problem for me goin to cuba is I quit smoking about 13 months ago and this little voice in my head says ...."Ya just gotta have a cigar if'n your in cuba eh" Gotta kill that little bugger in my head before I can go :)

Lawman once bubbled...

AMEN!!! I have a friend who spent last winter in Cuba. He went via Mexico with some help from a guy he knows there. He absolutely LOVED it. I can't wait to go. Cozumel has gotten way out of hand with prices. It's catching up with the Caymans fast, hotels are still cheaper, but the food is just as expensive (in the nicer restaurants).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom