Trip Report Cozumel - Presidente and Scuba Du May 2021

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blues Runner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Awesome week at the InterContinental Presidente diving with Scuba Du. Nothing has changed on the inbound side at Cozumel Airport except the requirement to wear a mask. A beautiful weather week. Temperatures ranged from the upper 70's at night to daytime highs in the upper 80's. Only one day with a little rain late in the week.

The Presidente's hospitality is first class class and feels genuine. Breakfast was included in our package and is a varied and full buffet including an omelette and egg station. There are four restaurants on site including a very good Italian offering. There are three pools (infinity, adults only and large jacuzzi pool) along with a swimmable beach on site. The location is close enough to San Miguel to make an easy cab ride for meals and exploration.

The absence of cruise ships creates a quiet vibe in San Miguel. Not good for the locally economy and they will begin to return in June.

The on site dive operator is Scuba Du. True valet diving and very convenient setup. The dive shop and dock are located adjacent to one of the restaurants. Drop your gear off when you arrive and it greets you at the dock every morning to be loaded onto one of Scuba Du's multiple boats. Long time Scuba Du employee Victor cleans you gear daily and returns it fully washed and ready for storage when you leave.

This was my first time in Cozumel since 2018. From what I have read the last couple of years, I expected the reefs to show a high degree of stress with browned out hurricane rubble and large patches of bleaching. That simply is not the case. I was ecstatic to find that not to be the reality. The marine park continues to temporarily close reef sections to reduce the stress.

Visibility all week was easily 100 feet. The water temperature was at 82 degrees. I was very comfortable in a three mil.

My dives included Maracaibo, Punta Sur (including "Devils Throat"), Palancar Bricks, Palancar Gardens, Santa Rosa Wall, Yucab and Chankanaab.

Covid testing was performed at the hotel and the results emailed later in the afternoon. Easy outbound at the Airport provided you have your Covid Test results. A little more paperwork but not unexpected in the current environment.

A few of my favorite pictures below.

David
anemone2.jpg
coral head.jpg
nurse2.jpg
orange sponge.jpg
ray.jpg
reef4.jpg
Sponges.jpg
Turtle2.jpg
yelloe sponge.jpg
Turtle4.jpg

Awesome week at the InterContinental Presidente diving with Scuba Du. Nothing has changed on the inbound side at Cozumel Airport except the requirement to wear a mask. A beautiful weather week. Temperatures ranged from the upper 70's at night to daytime highs in the upper 80's. Only one day with a little rain late in the week.

The Presidente's hospitality is first class class and feels genuine. Breakfast was included in our package and is a varied and full buffet including an omelette and egg station. There are four restaurants on site including a very good Italian offering. There are three pools (infinity, adults only and large jacuzzi pool) along with a swimmable beach on site. The location is close enough to San Miguel to make an easy cab ride for meals and exploration.

The absence of cruise ships creates a quiet vibe in San Miguel. Not good for the locally economy and they will begin to return in June.

The on site dive operator is Scuba Du. True valet diving and very convenient setup. The dive shop and dock are located adjacent to one of the restaurants. Drop your gear off when you arrive and it greets you at the dock every morning to be loaded onto one of Scuba Du's multiple boats. Long time Scuba Du employee Victor cleans you gear daily and returns it fully washed and ready for storage when you leave.

This was my first time in Cozumel since 2018. From what I have read the last couple of years, I expected the reefs to show a high degree of stress with browned out hurricane rubble and large patches of bleaching. That simply is not the case. I was ecstatic to find that not to be the reality. The marine park continues to temporarily close reef sections to reduce the stress.

Visibility all week was easily 100 feet. The water temperature was at 82 degrees. I was very comfortable in a three mil.

My dives included Maracaibo, Punta Sur (including "Devils Throat"), Palancar Bricks, Palancar Gardens, Santa Rosa Wall, Yucab and Chankanaab.

Covid testing was performed at the hotel and the results emailed later in the afternoon. Easy outbound at the Airport provided you have your Covid Test results. A little more paperwork but not unexpected in the current environment.

A few of my favorite pictures below.

David
View attachment 659486 View attachment 659488 View attachment 659489 View attachment 659490 View attachment 659491 View attachment 659493 View attachment 659494 View attachment 659496 View attachment 659497View attachment 659499
Where did you see the shark? We only have a few dives left and my wife is getting desperate.

Thanks, great report. Couple questions: does Scuba Du required a minimum number of divers to go out? And do they do afternoon and night dives? Thanks again.

Thanks, great report. Couple questions: does Scuba Du required a minimum number of divers to go out? And do they do afternoon and night dives? Thanks again.

There is no minimum for the morning boats unless you request a specific location ie. Punta Sur, Maracaibo etc. Specific requests require four people. Afternoon dives require a minimum of four people. Night dives are also available.

Thnx for posting this encouraging report

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom