Cozumel Pharmacy,, watch exchange rate ripoff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubblesong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just a heads up for those going to Cozumel, my sister had a bad experience today with a pharmacy charging double by exchange rate chicanery. She called cops and got money refunded by pharmacy manager. Just sad that the clerk would take advantage of a sick elderly person like that.

You might want to make a mental note that the legal tender in Mexico is the Mexican Peso. Problem solved.
A business can charge what ever exchange they want when accepting foreign currency. They are doing you a curtesy when accepting something other than legal tender. Even when using an ATM the 'exchange rate' is set by your bank since your deposits are in another currency. Some banks like Schwab are very good about it while others US national banks have been known to gouge their customers.

A business can charge what ever exchange they want when accepting foreign currency.
That's true, but one expects a reasonable rate if they want to attract customers. Glad you got some money back.

A business can charge what ever exchange they want when accepting foreign currency.
I've seen a lot of businesses in Coz post the exchange rate they use so customers know what will happen before they pay. If the pharmacy posted an exchange rate, but the clerk used a different rate... it would make sense that the police got involved.

While this kind of scam is a common problem for tourists, i really just brought it up here because of the timing ofthe SB Cozumel Invasion.

I tried to pay by credit card at a pharmacy once. The exchange rate they used was close to extortion. I declined and got cash.

I used a Coz pharmacy during the 2015 invasion. It was nice in that many drugs which require prescription here don't require one there. I don't recall exactly what I paid, but I left thinking it was inexpensive. I paid with a chase visa.

Hopefully it's just a shady clerk or something.

There is not "A" pharmacy in Coz, so it would be helpful to say which one. Like there are the regular ones and then the hole in the wall tourist trap pharmacies.

There is not "A" pharmacy in Coz, so it would be helpful to say which one. Like there are the regular ones and then the hole in the wall tourist trap pharmacies.
My sister said it was a chain pharm, which is probably why she got a refund of overcharges. She didn’t record the name and is back in Florida now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom