Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Belize

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Eat Noodles and Do Both!

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jay_SMART_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
November I am taking a Western Caribbean cruise on the Carnival Elation. There is a stop in Cozumel and one in Belize. I know that diving as a pod person on a cattle boat operated by Cruise charters is not the best way to dive (not trying to start that debate), but I got a great deal on this cruise.
The dilemma is the girlfriend and I are trying to budget and the question for shore excursions is where to dive. She is recently certified and I can't wait to get her in some blue water, as opposed to the green lakes around. We really can only afford to dive one of the spots (although I'm thinking a couple of months on Top Ramen could squeeze the pennies out for both).
Here's the set-up she's a new diver, should have 25 dives in by the time of the trip, I have dove Cozumel and love the drift diving, but have not been to Belize. Cozumel is $100 per diver and Belize is $150.
So what is the general consensus? Cozumel or Belize?

Jay_SMART_Diver:
November I am taking a Western Caribbean cruise on the Carnival Elation. There is a stop in Cozumel and one in Belize. I know that diving as a pod person on a cattle boat operated by Cruise charters is not the best way to dive (not trying to start that debate), but I got a great deal on this cruise.
The dilemma is the girlfriend and I are trying to budget and the question for shore excursions is where to dive. She is recently certified and I can't wait to get her in some blue water, as opposed to the green lakes around. We really can only afford to dive one of the spots (although I'm thinking a couple of months on Top Ramen could squeeze the pennies out for both).
Here's the set-up she's a new diver, should have 25 dives in by the time of the trip, I have dove Cozumel and love the drift diving, but have not been to Belize. Cozumel is $100 per diver and Belize is $150.
So what is the general consensus? Cozumel or Belize?

I took thae same cruise that you will be taking. You are correct about the Cattle Boat operation. I booked my dives independantly from the ship and it worked out great and a heck of a lot cheaper! Belize has some great diving... My preference is Belize... If you want to book on your own here is who I went with. They are very accomodating...
www.seasportsbelize.com and www.scubawithalison.com Let me know if you need any adtnl info...

Hi, I took a cruise last Aug on Royal Carribbean. because of time issues I didn't get to do any diving. We were in Cozumel and a group of about 20 people from the ship went on a excursion to Tulum. The bus that they were on broke down and they were seriously delayed in getting back to Cozumel. However, because it was a Royal Caribbean excursion, the ship delayed it's departure for about 1-1/2 hours til they boarded the ship. Although you may save some money by booking yourself with another dive operation, the ship will not wait for you to get back if there's a problem. It may be a good idea to check the policy of the cruiise ship line of regarding their guests on side trips booked through them. If your better deal dive operation has engine problems or a medical emergency you may be S**T of of luck. It would cost you some money to fly to your next port. Just my two cents worth. Have a great time.

Two different types of diving and different night life. Even though Cozumel is no night spot island, there are wonderful places to eat but since your on a cruise that wont matter much. If your in Belize City, yuk, your going to be hard pressed to find much choice of grub IMO. I love Cozumel and choose it over many others since its my home away from home. Belize you should do once. Probably wont go back if you enjoyed Cozumel though.

As you can tell, Coz has my vote. Have a great time either place you decide

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom