Cozumel marina dispute leaves scuba divers without parking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stingrayvilla

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Why do the powers on the island allow tourism to be hurt?

It was a magnificent day, the stay-at-home order was rescinded and the Scuba Tony dive boat was standing by to take us out for the first time in 3 months. We headed south down Av. Rafael E Melgar with hardly a wisp of traffic. All our senses were in overdrive. We pulled up to the guard shack and gave him our names and the dive company we were diving with. We now meandered down the concrete pavement to the Marina Fonatur and the heart of Cozumel’s scuba diving community.

What appeared before us sent a chill down our spines. While we were under curfew and forced to stay in our homes, WAR was battling on at Marina Fonatur. It turns out that the marina is owned by two separate corporations, the marina fonatur, and marina API. One of these factions thought it would benefit themselves by barricading off and locking the entire parking lot. This will generate a significant loss of income for all the industries at the marina. After COVID-19 it has become progressively more problematic to remain in business.

This faction should not be concerned with playing petty games for personal gain. We care passionately about the vibrancy of our Diving Industry. This enterprise has put forth efforts to help revitalize Cozumel. It also works hard to keep the business community thriving.

The parking left will not support the marina. There is hardly space for 36 cars and 20 scooters now. When the divers return, where will they park? COVID-19 has hurt tourism and we can not let this continue on. This is the moment the elected officials should perform. Please contact them and present your displeasure before further destruction is achieved. We can only do so much here at Stingray Villa and we need your help fighting for our beloved island.

Cozumel marina dispute leaves Scuba Divers without parking. - Stingray Villa

Attachments

• Cozumel Parking Wars.JPG
    Cozumel Parking Wars.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 171
I don't get it - who owns what out there? Regular marina, private marina - do two different groups own them? Does a even different group own the parking?

Take a cab?

we have only used an operation once that had their boat at the marina. it was a pain in the ass. i don't think we would ever do it again.
that said, threads like this could start unnecessary rumors about trouble on the island. hopefully it turns out to be a minor problem for only a handful of divers.

we have only used an operation once that had their boat at the marina. it was a pain in the ass. i don't think we would ever do it again.
that said, threads like this could start unnecessary rumors about trouble on the island. hopefully it turns out to be a minor problem for only a handful of divers.

Considering the vast majority of the boats are in marinas and there's a very large chunk of them in this particular marina (there's actually two effected) - it's a problem today running at the extremely low number of divers every day. Right now, there is barely enough room to park all the scooters that are there on a typical day day let alone any cars.

It's so nice to see that during a lock down that was to include any construction, this ******** went on. The really bad part is that you have no choice when it comes to dockage, out of four marinas, three are full - only the private marina has slips available at 5x the other rates and this BS takes all the parking away for even that place.

Take a cab?
That adds $110 MX, about $5 US, each way to your dive trip cost (from Centro). And that assumes you don't get a taxista that tries to gouge you on the price. Add 20% for capacity restriction surcharge and it's starting to get expensive. But I guess folks are desperate to dive.

That adds $110 MX, about $5 US, each way to your dive trip cost (from Centro). And that assumes you don't get a taxista that tries to gouge you on the price. Add 20% for capacity restriction surcharge and it's starting to get expensive. But I guess folks are desperate to dive.

How much does the car cost you? I guess if you own it already, its at no additional cost so I would get that case in point. At this point, I'd freaking walk to the marina to dive.

How much does the car cost you? I guess if you own it already, its at no additional cost so I would get that case in point. At this point, I'd freaking walk to the marina to dive.
Last May we stayed at Villablanca for a few days. Our first day there I took an early morning walk, and I walked to the marina and back. It was a long walk.

Back
Top Bottom