Cozumel in the Orange?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reddiver970

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We are headed to Coz in a few weeks, I have heard Quintana Roo has move into the Orange level. Does anyone know if this includes Cozumel and what exactly does the orange level mean for visitors?

We are headed to Coz in a few weeks, I have heard Quintana Roo has move into the Orange level. Does anyone know if this includes Cozumel and what exactly does the orange level mean for visitors?

Which answer would you like?

The governor of the state clearly and specifically lists Cozumel as orange as decreed by him or whoever at the state level.

The mayor of Cozumel, who is running for reelection said, nah we are going to stay yellow. Campaign events continue.

As for what it means, I just got back and it means about nothing. Snorkel boat were full like normal. Restaurants were doing a decent business. Heck the one night Guidos asked if I had a reservation. I gave him a look and they gave us a table but it was FULL.

Money Bar is like the most serious. Everyone if squirting the hand sanitizer and taking your temp. Money actually has you fill out a form with a symptom check list and fill in your temperature. On day we went for lunch and there was a tourist moto gang at the entrance. I guess because the form guy was in the can or something. I yelled make a hole (not really), got some hand sanitizer, found a seat, and ordered a margarita. (Rocas, sin sal, con Hornitos) I was half way through the first one till the form guy caught up with me..... Oh and they designated one entrance and different exit.

Even red now has recreation activities as essential so they are just supposed to reduce clients, not close. Unless Coz has a real pop in cases, no one is going to listen to, if I had my guess.

Right now for diving this is what they say. I saw full boats, so.....

upload_2021-5-16_15-55-49.png

Money Bar is like the most serious. Everyone if squirting the hand sanitizer and taking your temp. Money actually has you fill out a form with a symptom check list and fill in your temperature. On day we went for lunch and there was a tourist moto gang at the entrance. I guess because the form guy was in the can or something. I yelled make a hole, got some hand sanitizer, found a seat, and ordered a margarita. (Rocas, sin sal, con Hornitos) I was half way through the first one till the form guy caught up with me..... Oh and they designated one entrance and different exist.
View attachment 659538

so you knew there were specific protocols that the business owner had put in place, but you decided to bully your way through to a table because you didn't want to wait in line like everyone else ? pls correct me if i misunderstood.

so you knew there were specific protocols that the business owner had put in place, but you decided to bully your way through to a table because you didn't want to wait in line like everyone else ? pls correct me if i misunderstood.

No, I followed the available protocols, santitized my hands and such. In fact, the real problem was they clearly were violating the law allowing that many people to stand shoulder to shoulder in the entrance. If I had stood there, I might have cost them another violation of the law for lack of social distance. Did you want me to get them in trouble. Instead, I, while wearing my "I got me Covid Vaccine" mask found a safe place to social distance, until they were ready for me to fill out their extra form. I care about my and their safety. Don't get me wrong I also complete support their right to add an extra form. I just can't believe you would want me to endanger myself, those moto kids and risk a violation for the restaurant. I mean it right in both orange and yellow fase (depending on who you listen to) Sana distancia

And I really didn't yell at them at all, they sort of naturally parted as I approached, but 'make a hole' made for a better story.

safety-reminder-signs---industrial-y4401426-23398-l11678-lg.jpg

Our group has a private boat and there are only six of us, I guess its as good time as any to have your own boat.

During lockdown is scuba allowed. Just private boat?

To answer your question— during last years lockdown almost nothing was allowed (no diving , not even swimming at the beach ). As I and others have noted , no one really expects that to happen again for economic reasons , though never say never. They might restrict maximum occupancy for businesses/tours again if things stay bad but I doubt it would impact your vacation much if at all. Best to avoid crowded restaurants anyway given the surge in cases.

During lockdown is scuba allowed. Just private boat?

HA! So according to the governor, scuba or snorkeling right now is orange 50% capacity, so a 6 pack should have 3 divers. Or if you want to believe the mayor that says 'nah we are staying yellow', then you should only have 3.6 divers. I saw lots of snorkel boats that would have sank at 100% if they were at 60%. They were PACKED. In the marina looking at the boat I saw loading or unloading, 60% my you-know-what.

So if it went to RED and the Mayor didn't do the wink wink nudge nudge of 'No WE arent really red', what would really change? With all the real problems on the mainland and particularly in Cancun, which just closed a few street because of how many covid people live on them, I don't see Cozumel dive op worrying much about the traffic lights system. That is neither an endorsement or a complaint, just the way it seems to be working.

I mean EVEN if you want to believe the Mayor and not the Governor and believe Cozumel is in yellow, restaurants are supposed to be at 60%. I can tell you a few last week were packed. One, that shall remain, nameless said 'Do you have a reservation?" I said first off, it me, you must be new. Then I said I have like 5-6 of coming. They said 'oh the big table is open' and that was like the only open table.

ALL of them at least checked temps and squirted hand sanitizer. Some still had the shoe disinfectant rug. One has a form to check symptoms and record your name and temperature.

They have offered chance for everyone down to the age of 50 including expats to get the PFIZER vaccine. We have our vaccine, so good for them. Make some money.

However if you are concern, let the op or whatnot know and I am sure they will help the trip meet your needs. We did have a 'private boat' but only because no one else showed up. Plus the Maximus at Scuba with Alison is permitted for 10 divers and NEVER takes more than 8 normally so we always have room.

Back
Top Bottom