Cozumel for Halloween and Day of the Dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimela

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All! We're going to be in Cozumel for Halloween and Day of the Dead and I'm wondering about dressing up for the holidays. I don't want to be disrespectful or insulting to the local culture - but we also want to have fun being goofy! Any suggestions? We're staying at Cozumel Palace and suspect we will not leave the hotel for either holiday (at least not dressed up).

Thanks!

Don't worry about insulting anybody with your costumes. Anything would be better than the god-awful stuff the boat people wear every day on the island! Seriously, the local versions of Hanal Pixan or Day of the Dead are not viewed much different than Halloween is in the states. A lot of people build altars with offerings to their dead relatives and friends in their homes or businesses, but the days (October 31 to November 2) are considered celebrations, not time to mourn.

You will be just a couple of blocks from the main square where many people will be partying in costumes. Dress up and join the party! Staying in the hotel would be a crying shame.

We have been at Cozumel Palace a couple of times for Day of the Dead, they had a nice celebration both times. We didn't dress up but most of the staff did.

I still say that staying in the hotel during the festivities in the square is missing the boat.

I've been to the Palace there, great place. I'll be down the street at Hotel Coz on the 1st.

Here's another foreigner's opinion:

There is both the sacred traditional part and the social/gringo show part.

Seems great fun to take part in the street party aspect and everyone welcomes it from what I've seen. On the over hand, trying to become part of sacred part takes an invitation and closeness.

Enjoy how wonderfully they share their culture with us visitors!

Cameron

GO ENJOY IT! That's actually one of the reasons we are going back this time of year. We spent a couple of evenings in the square and observed all the small booths with the different displays/tributes to those who had passed. There was even what I'm guessing was a 5K run where many dressed up as they ran. We didn't even know about the celebration before we went but were glad we got to observe!

Wonderful! Ok, I've got my stuff picked out and counting the days! Thanks to all!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom