Cozumel experiences - where to stay, etc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TracyT24

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'm looking to head down to Cozumel in late October/early November. Would love some feedback on the following:

1. Where to stay - I would really like to stay at the Iberostar Cozumel so let me know what you think of this place! Any other resort suggestions?

2. Does anyone know anything about that time of year and whether it's risky in terms of hurricanes or what the diving conditions/water temperatures are like?

3. I'm taking someone who will be newly certified, is the diving good for beginners?

Any other comments/feedback are definitely welcome!!

TracyT24:
I'm looking to head down to Cozumel in late October/early November. Would love some feedback on the following:

1. Where to stay - I would really like to stay at the Iberostar Cozumel so let me know what you think of this place! Any other resort suggestions?

2. Does anyone know anything about that time of year and whether it's risky in terms of hurricanes or what the diving conditions/water temperatures are like?

3. I'm taking someone who will be newly certified, is the diving good for beginners?

Hi tracyT24!
I moved your question into the Cozumel forum, where your get great answers and find a plethora of information!

Check out my Cozumel report link below for my opinions.

Enjoy!

Rick

TracyT24:

1. You may be out of luck on that one; the Iberostar got really hammered by Hurricane Emily and is closed for quite a while, possibly for the rest of the year.

2. The diving is great then and the danger for hurricanes is very low.

3. Cozumel has lots of diving for divers of any level.

Go for it, but you'll probably have to stay closer to town.

Definitely do a search on this board for Cozumel trip reports, they are a wealth of information. Do you want to stay at an all inclusive? Once you decide that it will narrow down you choices and people can give you more specific info. I believe that several resorts are mandatory AI. Personally we don't do AI because there are just too many great places to eat in Coz. If you drinkers the AI plan does include all of the "adult beverages", which can offset the cost. I haven't heard anything about the AIs that was so terrific that I felt I had to do it, that and we like going into town for dinner and walking around. We have stayed at the Fiesta Americana and the Presidente and have no complaints at all about either.
There are many great places to stay, choose a couple that your interested in and ask about them here and you'll get more direct answers.
Check out ggunn's Cozumel travel guide it is a terrific source of information (BTW well done Gordon).

Here are a couple of trip reports to get you started:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=104845&highlight=cozumel+trip+report
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=102690&highlight=cozumel+trip+report
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=102125&highlight=cozumel+trip+report
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=102251&highlight=cozumel+trip+report
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=100815&highlight=cozumel+trip+report

These were just from a quick search, you can find many more....

TracyT24:
I don't think anyone will be staying at the Iberostar for at least a couple of months. It got whacked pretty good.

TracyT24:
Hurricane season is June thru October. You can have one at any time during the season. The water temperatures do vary through out the year. I'm thinking the range is 78f to 84f. During the winter there can be strong winds from the north that close the harbour so the dive boats can't go out, but the winds usually last only a couple of days at a time, but it is possible for them to last longer.

TracyT24:
Not particularly the best place the newly certified, but not terrible either as long as they can adjust to the drift diving that is just about unavoidable in Cozumel.

diveborg:
Hurricane season is June thru October. You can have one at any time during the season.

Technically, Atlantic (and thus Caribbean) hurricane season is June 1 through November 30. Hurricanes can happen at any time during the year, but these dates compromise the "season." Traditionally, the peak of hurricane season, i.e., the week most likely to have hurricanes, is the second week of September. Usually, as you get farther away from that, even as early as early October, your odds go down dramatically. I like traveling in mid-October and November as usually the weather is great, water is still warm, and crowds are gone.

However, this year all bets are off. We've never had this many major storms this early in the season, and Emily was the strongest storm ever recorded in July. Just make sure you get trip insurance and be flexible :)

--off to Cozumel in 2 days - yipppeeeeeee!

My own preference on this one is to stay in town. San Miguel has a tremendous amount of culture and is a trip in itself. Of course, you will have to get used to the ways of the village, especially when you venture into the plaza. You will immediately be spotted as a tourist. Smile, wave, and keep walking unless you want to explore every shop there is! But that is part of the charm of the place. Learn to bargain. The food is great and cheap, and if my memory is correct, a concert every Sunday evening in the Plaza...and the biggest Mexican flag I have ever seen! You will have a great time! And oh, the diving is great.

But as a location for a first cert dive, that might be a little dicey. The current is strong there, drift diving is the norm. But it is done. Just not my first choice.

You will have a great time!

Hey Tracy,
There are advantages to staying in town and there are advantages to staying at an all inclusive. I know that a lot of board members like the thrill of being in town and trying lots of new restaurants etc... but there is nothing wrong with just wanting to stay at one place and making your dive vacation as easy as possible. The nice part of staying at an all inclusive like the Grand, Allegro, or Iberostar is that you are so close to the dive sites that your boat ride can be as short as 4 minutes. Although the AI resorts have their own dive operators I would try and use one of the operators that are recommended on this board (http://www.scubawithalison.com is the one I used). The smaller dive op's will give you way more bang for your buck whether you are new to diving or have 500 dives logged. There are lots of trip reports posted (mine is at http://www.scubaboard.com/t87475-coz-trip-report---grand-coz-jan-15-22-2005---link-to-pictures.html )
Just use the search tool on this board and you should be able to find all the information you need to plan your trip. Just remeber to reserve your dive op early as they can book up months in advance.
Tucker

TracyT24:

1. you may have to check into other places, like Gordon said, Iberostar is on the south end of the island and most of them are going to be closed for a couple months for sure if not longer. I've seen projected openings as late as Nov. 1st.
also from what I've heard about the Iberostar is that it is not very 'diver friendly'. they don't want you to hang your dive equipment on the balcony to dry, but the rooms aren't really big enough to put it anywhere else and they don't have any other facilities for that purpose. Also if you don't use their on site dive operator, they charge other dive ops to use their pier, and I haven't heard much good about their dive op, what I have heard is they cater mostly to people doing 'resort dives', non-certified people wanting to check it out.

We have always stayed at the El Cid La Ceiba, it is currently changing over to a time-share property, don't take the time-share presentation, it's not worth it...trust me.
the hotel is nice, and has always been a 'divers hotel' most rooms have been renovated and the food is good, the location is very good, right next to the international pier, about 2.5 miles out of town, and if you want to try your hand at underwater photography, Island Photo is on the property, they are the only full service photo shop on the island and rent and service both film and digital cameras as well as video equipment. good shore diving on 'airplane flats' where there is what's left of a plane that was sunk in the '70s for a movie, nice shallow dive and a really good night dive.

A couple of other suggestions would be Hotel Cozumel, nice property close to town, beautiful pool area, they offer both all-inclusive and non-AI packages.

If your looking for a nice clean no-frills place Blue Caribe has been very highly recommended by many here. the drawback is that they usually aren't on charter package lists like FunJet and MLT so you have to book hotel and air seperately. But their prices make up for it, something like $85 a night! It is also close to town and good shore diving here also from what i understand.

We prefer not to go AI because there are sooooooooooooooo many good restaurants in town and the list just keeps growning all the time.

2. most hurricanes that form in the western Caribbean form in late season, but having said that, Cozumel rarely gets hit by the big storms. It's really nothing you can predict, but I think the way the Yucatan sits helps push the storms either east twards Cuba or forces them inland along Central America before they hit Coz.
I've never dove there in Oct., but it's a pretty popular time for folks to go so it must be good. I can't imagine there ever being a 'bad' time to dive in Coz, I do know in the winter they get an occational 'northerner' blowing in that will mess things up but usually that is just for a couple of days.

3. many, many, many divers go to Coz for their certification checkout dives. so yes, it's a good place for novice divers to go. Just be warned...once you set the bar this high, they will be spoiled and want diving to be this great everywhere!!!

Hope this helps, have a great trip and give us all a trip report when you get back

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom