Question Cozumel diving - which diving center

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
TrickyNiky
Reaction score
Hello,

I'd really like to ask your advice. My husband and I are going diving in Cozumel for 5 days in April and we want to get our Advance Open Water certification.

I have checked out several places and in the end Cozumel Dive School and Roberta's Scuba Shack came out as the best value for money. It was important for us that they offer accommodation as well, as it will make our stay much easier if the hotel is right next to the dive shop.
With Roberta's I like the accommodation better and the fact that it seems to be a dive center with a long tradition, but with Cozumel Dive School again the location is good right in the center. However, when I looked at Google maps, the town doesn't seem that friendly, we've never been to Cozumel.

What would you recommend? Thank you very much!

Tricky

I just got back from Scuba Club Cozumel. The dive shop, hotel, restraunt, and docks are all in one nice complex. The dive boats they use are very spacious and the DM we had was really good. They have a full cadre of instructors and I would highly recommend them.

I recommend you move this to the Cozumel section.
You could also search there to help you find a shop that fits your needs.

I don’t have any experience with these 2 shops, but I recommend looking at Blue Angel Resort and Dive Shop. If you do a search of Blue Angel here you’ll see it gets good reviews. I used to use them. The resort isn’t anything fancy but it suited my needs and is directly on the water. And for Cozumel the shore dive isnt that bad eithe.

Here is a link to the coz section
Just make a new post there

I'd love to, but I can't figure out how to do it.
I've been through the topic otherwise, of course:wink:

There are many posts asking the same question
You will better understand what you are looking for if you read what others have asked

Check out this thread: Finding a (Best) Dive Op in Cozumel

Cozumel Scuba School is located in town...at some point, you are going to need to get to the ocean for your check out dives and diving. So if it were me, I'd pick a place that was on the water for a more enjoyable Caribbean vacation. I live in town and town is great, especially if you like eating out. But there aren't a lot of ops that pick up in town. Nearly every op does certifications and if it were me, I'd follow up on the Blue Angel suggestion. Place has a cool vibe and it's a great location. Nice restaurant on site and dive shop on site.

I'd love to, but I can't figure out how to do it.
You couldn't, but it was moved for you by a Moderator.

Wow, are you traveling from Germany for a five-day visit? It takes that long to get over jetlag. Well, y'all are probably young and tough so I guess you'll be fine.
However, when I looked at Google maps, the town doesn't seem that friendly, we've never been to Cozumel.
:giggle: Friendly? Ok, be cautious about Google maps. They do okay with streets and highways, but business and other locations are placed by internet users so mistakes are common, more so in Cozumel in that visitors often don't understand exactly where they are or have been. It's usually easy to get around with the very common taxis, but don't be shy about dickering on rates as some charge more than others. Google maps does seem to have Roberta's in the right location south of town on front street, also known as Melgar.
It was important for us that they offer accommodation as well, as it will make our stay much easier if the hotel is right next to the dive shop.
It can be handy to have the dive shop at the same location as the hotel. You'll learn to deal with that in time, but as rushed as your trip is, it's a good idea. Blue Angel is one of many that meet that desire.
Roberta's Scuba Shack came out as the best value for money.
Roberta's is also one of many that meet that desire. They seem to include a light continental breakfast, but you'll need to go elsewhere for lunch and dinner. Casa del Mar is about 100 meters away, Blue Angel about a Kilometer, and there are others within a half kilometer the other way. Better restaurants in town will be a short cab ride.

Taxi rides, dining, and other expenses are generally best paid in Mexican Pesos. The best way to convert currencies is to use a debit card at a bank affiliated ATM, but beware the other ATMs as they can be dangerous. Those should be easy to find at the airport on arrival as well at various locations in town if you need more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom