Cozumel Diving Dec 19-22 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ColoDale

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Cozumel Diving Dec 19-22 2020

Four days (8 dives) of diving before Christmas and some photos.

I dove with Raul and Bottom Time Divers, dove south sites and many of the Palancars as some on the boat had not been there or much before. We dove Cedral Pass, Cedral wall, Dalila and a hybrid of the flats in front of the white house/Cedral Wall/Cedral pass - a bit of swimming.
Raul just finished painting and fixing up his boat. Looks nice. At times I didn't recognize it from below.

Currents were at times non-existent to medium on Cedral wall. Overall slow current.
Water temps were 80 to 81 F on all dives.
Visibility was decent to good.
Average dive time 67 minutes per dive.
Weather has been mostly clear with light winds some days.
There was a bit of surface chop at times due to wind but was not bad. Other times the water was flat with sun.
Parking at the marina is still a pain.
By report the new park fee kicks in next year.
A friend on vacation in PDC came over one day on the first 8 am Ultramar ferry to dive and said it was packed. We warned him to get in line early for screening and occupancy.

These dives I used wide angle two days and a normal zoom lens for two. I was hoping for eagle ray schools but no luck. Many of the shots I took of things up close were wide angle. I was trying some close focus wide angle and it did fairly well but I noticed I really had to watch strobe angle and power more.
The large dome port did affect buoyancy a bit over the flat port.

This trip I noticed as in November, many more yellow sting rays. The green eels are in the usual spots, alot of lobster (smaller in groups under ledges) and less turtles although we saw them on almost every dive and all hawksbill. Lots of fish on Palancars, Dalila and Cedral Pass. Note in one of the Green Moray Eel photos, someone tried feeding it a piece of hot dog. When there, taking the photo, I thought it was a piece of sponge in the sand - a hogfish and the eel kept going at it. I spotted it after downloading photos.

While some have seen Eagle Rays in groups, we saw 5 singles and all seemed to be going south on a mission.

Looking at my dive log, I had 76 dives in 2020 with quarantine and 4 more than last year. I expected less this year.

Barrucuda
Coz Dec 2020 Barracuda 001c.jpg

Black Durgon
Coz Dec 2020 Black Durgon 001c.jpg

Channel crab
Coz Dec 2020 Channel crab 001c.jpg

Green Moray Eel - Before we arrived, somebody tried feeding it a hot dog.
Coz Dec 2020 Green Moray Eel 002c.jpg

Green Moray
Coz Dec 2020 Green Moray Eel 006c.jpg

Hawksbill turtle
Coz Dec 2020 Hawksbill Turtle 002c.jpg

Hawksbill turtle coming back down
Coz Dec 2020 Hawksbill Turtle 004c.jpg

Juvenile Spotted Drum
Coz Dec 2020 JuvenileSpotted Drum 001c.jpg

Lesser electric ray
Coz Dec 2020 Lesser Electric Ray 001c.jpg

Nurse shark. The free swimming eel above went in next to the shark.
Coz Dec 2020 Nurse Shark 001c.jpg

More Photos

Peacock Flounder

Coz Dec 2020 Peacock Flounder 001c.jpg

Porcupine fish

Coz Dec 2020 Porcupinefish 001c.jpg

Scorpionfish

Coz Dec 2020 Scorpionfish 001c.jpg

Seascape with Chromis. One of the few wide angles where I managed to get the Chromis decently.

Coz Dec 2020 Seascape chromis 001c.jpg

Various fish all going after something in the coral head but don't know what.

Coz Dec 2020 Seascape fish 001c.jpg

Seascape with Black Grouper

Coz Dec 2020 Seascape Grouper 001c.jpg

I think these are Southern Sennet.

Coz Dec 2020 Southern Sennet 001c.jpg

Spotted Cleaner shrimp

Coz Dec 2020 Spotted Cleaner Shrimp 001c.jpg

Spotted Eagle Ray (butt)

Coz Dec 2020 Spotted Eagle Ray 001c.jpg

Yellow stingray

Coz Dec 2020 Yellow Stingray 002c.jpg

Nice..if the next 2 days are Nortes...then we just completed our 18th dive with Aldora..today we saw the largest Turtle ive ever seen ravishing coral like it was butter...and a very rare daytime sighting of an octopus laid up in its den...

Great pix, thanks for posting.

Very nice

We were diving there for a week end of November-early December. Saw pretty much the same stuff at same sites as you did, except we haven't seen an Electric Ray. Curiously, all the good dive sites in Cozumel are in the south but most dive shops are in the north.

What size tanks? Are you just really good on air with a 80 cf AL?

Richard.

Al 100's. But I am 6'7" and around 250 - 260 lbs (we don't own a scale). The rest of my friends dive AL 80s and we mostly end up with the same times. They are smaller :). We and Raul are pretty good at planning/extending dive times.

We were diving there for a week end of November-early December. Saw pretty much the same stuff at same sites as you did, except we haven't seen an Electric Ray. Curiously, all the good dive sites in Cozumel are in the south but most dive shops are in the north.

I don't see them frequently but I can say they are mostly in the flats and off reefs/pillars. Many dive shops don't want to take people only to the grass or sand flats since they may not see anything. However these are the same areas to see seahorses, flying gunards, batfish, sand divers, snake eels and chain eels (shallower sites) and other things. This electric ray was in the sand off Palancar Gardens when we were coming inshore to come up. We usually come in quite a bit towards shore.

Back
Top Bottom