Cozumel diving Conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, most of the information on that site is just wrong and misleading. Many of the dive ops are getting geared up and ready to go, have the capacity, boats and equipment to do so, as well as the entry points for divers to get in the boats: everything is being worked out. If you read what that person is saying (and recognize he is a cozumel dive operator looking after his own interest, and not anyone else's) you would imagine that his is the last and only dive operation left in business on Cozumel...kind of ridiculous no?

Peace!

James

There was a meeting last night of the National Marine Park in which the gave quantitative information as to the effect on the reefs since last May. It is my understanding that they had picked out a defined section of reef at Tormentos, Yucab, and Paradise reefs and documented coverage of various things including finger and lettuce corals at each location. Here is what they had to offer:

In May of 2005 those locations had 30% coverage of Finger and Lettuce Corals. After Hurricane Emily in July they had 17% coverage. Now they have 14% coverage.

In May there was 10% exposed rock, now there is 30% exposed rock.

I am not sure how they define these figures but it seems that from what little they gave us, things have not changed that dramatically. Encouraging.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Dear Grateful James,

I quote from the web site that you refer to.

"In spite of the number of sunken and damaged boats it is likely that most operators will be able to take out divers soon, if not already".

How does that reflect badly on your favorite operator?

gratefuljames:
Actually, most of the information on that site is just wrong and misleading. Many of the dive ops are getting geared up and ready to go, have the capacity, boats and equipment to do so, as well as the entry points for divers to get in the boats: everything is being worked out. If you read what that person is saying (and recognize he is a cozumel dive operator looking after his own interest, and not anyone else's) you would imagine that his is the last and only dive operation left in business on Cozumel...kind of ridiculous no?

Peace!

James

Well, it's his website, and it's a promotional vehicle for his business. He can post anything he wants. Grain of salt.

I've found this site to be very helpful http://www.cometocozumel.com/english/wilma/default.asp They're posting the official daily updates and have the official Cozumel Hotel Association listing of properties and their reopening dates, as well as any official statement that properties have issued. There's also a restaurant listing. Yesterday's report mentioned the Marine Park survey, so I'm sure they will post the official findings in the next day or so.

dillehay:
In May of 2005 those locations had 30% coverage of Finger and Lettuce Corals. After Hurricane Emily in July they had 17% coverage. Now they have 14% coverage.

In May there was 10% exposed rock, now there is 30% exposed rock.

I am not sure how they define these figures but it seems that from what little they gave us, things have not changed that dramatically. Encouraging.

Hmm...not dramatic? It sounds like over 50% coral loss this summer and three times the exposed rock. That sounds fairly dramatic to me. Am I reading this wrong?

I'm really curious to hear what some people think in a more subjective sense when the diving really gets resumed.

Gregg

Welcome to nature doing its thing. We're fortunate enough to be witness.
No plans to cancel our next trip.

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
Hmm...not dramatic? It sounds like over 50% coral loss this summer and three times the exposed rock. That sounds fairly dramatic to me. Am I reading this wrong?

Gregg

I think the point is/was, that considering how bad Wilma was, the damage to the reef appears to be less than expected.

FWIW, our Feb 4th trip will remain on as long as the intown home we rented is operational. If the diving is less fantastic, so be it. Coz will need all the help it can get to recover and our group is on for that.

I'm actually looking forward to the possibility that things will be less crowded. It'll be like going back in time, pre mass cruiseship invasion.

TCDiver1:
I'm actually looking forward to the possibility that things will be less crowded. It'll be like going back in time, pre mass cruiseship invasion.

Me too...we're going in January. My first time there, and honestly I wasn't all that stoked about all the cruise ships and whatnot. I usually don't go places like that.

I'm confident Coz is going to be rad, with great diving. Hey, hurricanes are all part of nature and seeing their effects on the reef will be interesting. And if Coz is a bit quieter than normal, you won't see me complaining. :)

Gregg

Back
Top Bottom