Trip Report Cozumel diving 20 and 21 May 2021

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ColoDale

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Two days diving with Raul and Bottom Time divers 20 and 21 May.

Friends from Virginia came down to dive and I could only manage two days of diving. Some sort of head cold was going around here (not covid) and I could only get the last couple of days to dive with them. They were diving 3-4 tanks per day.

Dived
Palancar Caves
La Francesa - one of my favorites
Cedral Wall
Punta Tunich
My friends said they very much enjoyed their night dives.

A bit of rain moved in which was good as there has been little rain in the last month or two. Waves did pick up 21 May due to wind.

The last day the current was much faster on Cedral Wall and especially Punta Tunich. Not alot of stopping to see anything unless there was good cover. This dive I stayed down to the bottom of the island side of the reef to avoid current but I really pushed NDL limits in 58 minutes dive time (second dive). Back on the boat I asked which idiot suggested Punta Tunich and I was told it was me.
My friends had to be back early to their hotel for covid tests 21 May before they left so I went to the marina at 6:30 am, then to their hotels. We had another diver staying at Secrets. Seems they have to pay and present a slip of paper to a pier attendant before getting on the boat. The new pier is very high out of the water. It's a bit of a climb. Nice pier tho.

Temps were consistently 81-82 F
Visibility was good
Current was faster
Passing rain storms and bigger waves at times.
Sargassum is picking up a bit.

Green Morays on La Francesa and Cedral Wall.
Quite a few Hawksbill turtles on most dives but more on Punta Tunich. Nurse sharks on Tunich.
Spotted drums on many dives.
Pederson and other shrimp on La Francesa.
No photos as assembling, cleaning and disassembling for two days is a pain. Not to mention that it's hockey playoffs and AVs games are on late.

What’s the status of Cozumel white plague-
Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease?
Are any reefs still healthy?

What’s the status of Cozumel white plague-
Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease?
Are any reefs still healthy?

There is some bleaching/whitening but there is also alot of healthy hard corals. Yes, there are healthy reefs in general.

Punta Tunich

The last day the current was much faster on Cedral Wall and especially Punta Tunich. Not alot of stopping to see anything unless there was good cover. This dive I stayed down to the bottom of the island side of the reef to avoid current but I really pushed NDL limits in 58 minutes dive time (second dive). Back on the boat I asked which idiot suggested Punta Tunich and I was told it was me.

LOL...this accurately describes my Punta Tunich dives!
From my log:
"Punta Tunich Reef . . Fast current. Turtles, lobsters, lots of small stuff, cleaner shrimp."

Thnks for posting

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom