Cozumel - dive shop recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba-karen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I’m heading off to Cozumel mid March for 10 days, any recommendations for a good dive shop offering packages for multiple dives? Also in terms of water temperature, I feel the cold so am thinking a 5mm.

See this thread:

Very simple... Dive and stay package booked through Tres Pelicanos with Casa Mexicana accommodations. I can't tell you how many people here have done this combo, absolutely love it, and do it over and over again for years (myself included). Ya stay in town where everything San Miguel has to offer is at your feet and the dive shop is just around the corner at back of the block. Jeanie at 3P's who you would book through gets the best rates at the Casa and she also gets you the best "City View" rooms that offer the same or better ocean views at a discount to the Casa's higher priced "Delux Ocean View" rooms.

Some can dive in 80 degree water for days wearing nothing but a swimsuit. I'm not one of those people. Absolutely bring the 5MM and get yourself a beanie if you don't have one. It will be the best $30 you ever spent. Just be sure to heat up a nail with a lighter and poke it through the top of the beanie around the back of your head that will be the highest point when in your typical dive profile to create a vent hole as they have a way of capturing and housing exhaled air from your reg. Ya don't want to look like a balloon head under water as there are plenty of those to be seen walking around in-town and the captured air in the beanie gets very annoying. It took me 1 dive with a beanie without a vent hole before I was looking for a nail and a lighter in the shop.

XS Scuba 2mm Tropic Beanie

Welcome to the Cozumel forum. It gets a little rowdy in here at times, but we all mean well, I think.

The worst are the cheerleaders! :stirpot:
Dive and stay package booked through Tres Pelicanos with Casa Mexicana accommodations.
Tres Pelicanos is indeed one of dozens of great dive Ops, and Casa Mexican is a nice hotel on front street if you don't mind the traffic. I dived with them a few trips before Salty Endeavors got going, and they were great. I did not like the hike from the parking lot into the marina, and I've read here that it's become worse, but everything else was great. These days I let Salty Endeavors pick me up at a downtown dock, and I enjoy the boat rides to dive sites in the park and up north. But there are dozens of great shops.
See this thread:
That thread is the best ever in comparing shops. He revised the attached document several times, so go thru the pages, download the latest version, and take your time looking. Then search this forum to read reviews and experiences.
Also in terms of water temperature, I feel the cold so am thinking a 5mm.
Well, you're from the UK so probably take cold better than us Texans, but you're also female and ladies do seem to chill easier overall. Everyone is different so it's hard to say. The flowing water has been losing heat all winter so in March I would wear my 3 mil shorty over my 1 mil jumpsuit, and I'd say you can't go wrong with a 5 mil. I hope it's a long jumpsuit as scrapes and stings are possible. If not, wear a long skin under it. I know many who wear shorties or even just shorts, but growing new skin is a drag.

Are you flying non-stop to Cancun or having to deal with a US change along with our TSA and I&C? I hope non-stop to Cancun as that bag drag to the ferry is easier than changing in the U.S.

I don't know what kind of Dive Insurance or Trip Insurance is sold over there, but get the best. Accidents do happen as well as non-accident issues so it's good to have support.

10 days, any recommendations for a good dive shop offering packages for multiple dives?
As mentioned earlier, use the spreadsheet in the linked thread to "Finding a (Best) Dive Op in Cozumel."

It isn't out of the question to find a good op that has discounts for multiple days of diving, but still would cost more than a good op that charges a flat daily rate per day with no discounts.

Your choice of ops could also best be determined by where you wind up staying. Maybe where you stay has a good onsite op or there is a good op within walking distance with the discounts you're looking for, but, again a good op that is a $6-$10 total taxi ride away/back - or even a 5-10 minute walk away- with the flat daily dive rate may be a better deal. I had this experience near the end of last year - the hotel I stayed at had an onsite dive op that started at $100 with about a $6 drop per day, while just a short 4 minute walk away, an op charged $84 with about a $2 a day drop - it would take 4 days of diving at the more expensive op to get to the beginning rate of the cheaper op.

Just a couple of reasons that a little research can help if the price/discount is a factor. If you have searched other threads here on SB, you already know most people have their favorites in Cozumel - if anything, it just means that there are a lot of really good ops, even ops not mentioned as often as others, and, if price is a factor - or something else like boat ride time, boat size, dive times, op stores gear, valet service, etc... - there is a good op to be found.

Once you know where or which part of the island you're staying, check in again and you will likely be able to get more specific information about what is close to you.

If you tend to get cold, also do not forget to bring a light jacket, cap for surface interval. Any bit of wind will bring your temp down and make for colder second dive. I always throw on my jacket and knitted beenie as soon as i get in boat. Keep that core temp regulated.

If you tend to get cold, also do not forget to bring a light jacket, cap for surface interval. Any bit of wind will bring your temp down and make for colder second dive. I always throw on my jacket and knitted beenie as soon as i get in boat. Keep that core temp regulated.
Another (related) thing: Keeping the upper half of your wetsuit on when you get out of the water will likely chill you when the boat starts moving unless you cover up.

Good point. I usually just dry with one of those quick drying towels (my op furnishes them and washes them daily, but I carry one of my own), don my Bucket Hat (see avatar), and pour coffee from my vacuum bottle, but occasionally I use one of those cheap foil wraps sold as survival blankets on moving boat.

Another (related) thing: Keeping the upper half of your wetsuit on when you get out of the water will likely chill you when the boat starts moving unless you cover up.
The water evaporating can make for a cold surface interval or ride back. When I didn't have a coat, I took off my wetsuit and was considerably warmer even sitting in just boxers. However next time I travel in the colder months I am getting one of those nice and long water/windproof dive coats.

The water evaporating can make for a cold surface interval or ride back. When I didn't have a coat, I took off my wetsuit and was considerably warmer even sitting in just boxers. However next time I travel in the colder months I am getting one of those nice and long water/windproof dive coats.
I strip off the top half of my wetsuit when I get on the boat even in the warmer months.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom