Cozumel Dive Op/Hotel Shore Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doctor Rig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Anybody able to recommend a good dive operation and/or hotel that has good shore diving in Cozumel? I’ve read the Blue Angel has good shore diving but have yet been able to verify it. Sure would be nice to have the option of an afternoon no-hassles, safe, enjoyable shore dive with something to look at.

Anybody able to recommend a good dive operation and/or hotel that has good shore diving in Cozumel? I’ve read the Blue Angel has good shore diving but have yet been able to verify it. Sure would be nice to have the option of an afternoon no-hassles, safe, enjoyable shore dive with something to look at.
Blue Angel and Scuba Club Cozumel would be my first two choices if I were looking for what you are looking for.

Scuba Club Cozumel shore dive is fine, and a fun place to explore, especially at night. But don't expect anything close to what you'll see from a boat in Cozumel.

When I stayed at BA I would do a shore dive almost every afternoon or evening. Easy in and out, a place to shower off and rinse your gear. Lots to see while going around the string ray prison and heading south for some smaller coral heads with the usual critters. Easy to get 90+ minutes on an AL80 tank due to it being less than 20'. I always stay for happy hour and or dinner afterwards.

we like the shallow dives off shore at hotel cozumel which is right next to scuba club. they have lockers and lots of room to hang your stuff to dry, 2 big rinse tanks and a shower. 2 different spots to enter / exit. the night dives are particularly fun for us.

not anything super spectacular but El Cid la Ceiba has some shore diving with decent entry/exit points. There's what appears to be part of a small plane not too far out in about 20 fsw and then some smaller little coral reefs scattered in the area too. Plenty of spots for critters to hide and decent for twilight/night dives.

We stay at Hotel Cozumel. For evening & night dives I can highly recommend it. Another one that I've considered staying at is Casa del Mar and dive at Cozumel Marine World. I dive with Cozumel Marine World.

One that I rarely see mentioned is Coral Princess. It's a bit North of town and a long walk but they had set taxi rates of 70 pesos to and from, at least that's what it was last year. They have a good on-site dive op called Pepe Scuba. They rent tanks (it was $15 last year!) and the shore diving is very easy. We headed South until we got to about 1600 psi, stayed along the shore/wall, and saw a lot of interesting critters. When we headed out, away from shore, we saw very little besides sand. Our AL80 tanks lasted almost two hours and we rarely exceeded 15 feet. We will be there again in about 3 weeks :) Their dive boat prices are a little higher ($99, I think) and the boat trip is a few minutes longer and may be subject to availability if you are not staying at the hotel. A 1-bedroom, ocean-view suite is about $200/night but we do a time-share exchange and get it for about $200/week :) A nice play to stay except for the distance from town and their restaurant is mediocre.

Marine World is South of town and is across the street from Casa del Mar hotel, just before you get to the elevated, over-the-road walkway, next to Atlantis Submarine. You can rent tanks, weights, and other gear. A couple of months ago it was $10 for tanks and weights. You jump off the dock and if you go South you will eventually encounter some coral restoration gardens. If you go North you will find artificial reefs, busts of famous oceanographers, coral gardens, a lot of snorkelers, Discover Scuba customers, as well as Snuba divers and maybe those helmet things that are sorta like hard hat divers but for tourists. The dives are mainly around 25-30 feet. Not an abundance of sea life but I have seen squid, rays, eel snakes, morays, etc. Definitely bring your DSMB if you head South from the dock--lots of boat traffic. There is also lots of boat traffic to the North but they are mainly snorkel boats and are expecting divers to be there. Marine World is the dive op for Casa del Mar hotel so their boat dives may be subject to availability.

No doubt Scuba Club will rent you a tank if you are not staying there and it's probably only about $7 or so, but the dive shop closes at around 5:00 so you might have to bring a padlock and use the lockers if you want to do a night dive etc. I have not done this particular shore dive but I've heard it's pretty good, especially at night.

just some of my videos of Scuba Club shore diving:

You must be staying at Scuba Club to do the shore dive from their piers or stairs. Some people staying next door, at Hotel Cozumel, swim over and dive the area, then swim back to their exit. Also, the gate that is shown in the last video listed, from 2009, is no longer upright, salt water has eaten it up, just pieces left in sand now.

enjoy.

I'm a regular at Hotel Cozumel & have worked my way both north & south of it and things are similar all along that area. Best plan when at any of the hotels is to work against the current in the beginning & then let it bring you back later.

This is an album put together from several shore dives done as a gear & weight test at the start of each trip.
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmpr4Afy

And this is my hotel property tour album. https://flic.kr/s/aHskS8V7Ew

Back
Top Bottom