Cozumel - any experience staying at Residencias Reef?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have stayed at Residencias Reef numerous times. I have booked through VRBO, Cozumelvillas.com, Enjoycozumel.com and Fulviocozumelrentals.com. All good experiences. I am not familiar with Ocean Front Rentals.

That's a detail that I am good about checking...
Now I am. :D

There were a couple of things that I should have seen as red flags; one of which was that once I had paid for the room reservation, it could not be canceled. Once I saw what had happened I called the hotel to complain, but they couldn't help me.

There were a couple of things that I should have seen as red flags; one of which was that once I had paid for the room reservation, it could not be canceled. Once I saw what had happened I called the hotel to complain, but they couldn't help me.
Nonrefundable rooms are common. Did the hotel get enough of the money that you got the room?

I am as well but the reason I had that example at the ready was because a couple of years ago I thought I did check the URL and very nearly booked through the fake site. Well, I suppose it's not fake as they would book you a room but I wanted to go directly through the resort and not a third party.

Nonrefundable rooms are common. Did the hotel get enough of the money that you got the room?
I did get the room, but other than this incident I have never booked a reservation directly (which I thought I was doing) at a hotel where my CC got charged the full amount a month before my stay and where I could not cancel the reservation up to a couple of days before I was scheduled to check in; I will not again. I am pretty sure the hotel got their full rack rate after the "service" skimmed off their $200+; this wasn't Priceline or anything like it. It was a ripoff, plain and simple. Caveat emptor.

I have never booked a reservation directly (which I thought I was doing) at a hotel where my CC got charged the full amount a month before my stay and where I could not cancel the reservation up to a couple of days before I was scheduled to check in
Ok, well, nonrefundable, pay-in-advance rooms are common. Something to watch for.

Ok, well, nonrefundable, pay-in-advance rooms are common. Something to watch for.
The only experience with that I have had is booking through Priceline, where you may not be able to specify a particular hotel and the rate is significantly less than the rack rate. This was very different, and now I know what to watch for, starting with making sure that the domain name of the URL on the booking page is from the hotel or chain.

In this case I had to book my room in a specific hotel, as the guy I would be traveling with had already booked his. I had been to the hotel's real website a couple of days earlier just to look around, and when I thought I was going back to it I was really going to the booking "service" website, which looked just like the hotel's - the same format, layout, photos, etc. - except that the rates were higher. It was a big weekend (there were two sold out 75,000 seat Dead & Co. concerts) and I had waited until the last minute to book the room so I just thought that the rates had gone up until I got my receipt in email which told the tale.

Anyway, it was a life lesson with a $200+ tuition.

I often use booking.com , especially in Europe. A lot of hotels will give you a discount for a non-cancellable reservation. Sometimes there's more options like an intermediate price that you can cancel up to a week in advance. They make it very easy to see the different options.

RM Ocean Front Rentals is a real site and agency, I use them to manage my Unit there, you might want to check it out #5320 . Message me if you have any questions.

Back
Top Bottom