Cozumel - any experience staying at Residencias Reef?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andy Ralph

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking at VRBO/Airbnb options, this seems to be one of the higher rated and nicer stays in Cozumel. I'm going with my two young sons so while not looking for a 5 star resort, I would like to stay somewhere nice with private beach/pool & wifi and this seems to tick all the boxes. However it's about a 10 minute drive from the pier. Any of the good/reputable dive ops pickup and drop-off here? Anyone who has stayed here and can recommend (or something similar)?

Full disclosure - Have dove Cozumel a couple times off of cruise ships, never stayed. Planning to stay for a week last week of June. Oldest son (17) is certified and has dove with me in Grand Cayman, youngest (14) will be doing his check-outs and then diving with us rest of the week. Both big strapping kids, strong HS swimmers.

Haven't stayed there, but as it is south of the marina, just about every dive op will pick you up and drop you off there.

Have rented a condo at Residencias Reef for the last 10 years. Secrets next door has a pier you can use for a fee. My dive op just charged us for it. I think all dive/ fishing etc will pick you up there. Might want to look into a rental car. Think it's about $20 USD one way into town and 15 or so min drive for a taxi.

We stayed at Residencias Reef 2 years ago. Very clean, safe, quite and short walk to the secrets pier (buy access tickets at the gate of the condo).
1) We rented the car and it's almost the must when your are in the condo. By the way some condo owners have cars for rent.
2) Entrance to the water from the beach requires water shoes.
3) They have local breakfast/lunch place 200 yards to the left from the gate. It was too much local/Mexican for some in our group but I liked lunches there between dives.

1. Agree with Sasha - the lunch place in front of Secrets is very good and in expensive. We ate there twice on the last trip. Food is cooked right in front of you and there are chairs to eat there or take back to the condo.

2.There are two showers and rinse tanks for gear on both sides of the pool.

3. Secrets pier was just finished this last April after being destroyed by hurricane in 2020. They build it higher so can be a challenge to get in and out of boats. When we left they hadn't added a ladder to enter the water at the end of the pier.
Night snorkel around it can fun.

4. It is usually very quiet place. If pool is noisy you can always move to the beach.

5. Its a gated community with security guards walking the area. We stay in ground floor condo and I leave my dive gear to dry on the patio over night. Never had any issue with missing gear.

Hope this helps. We have already reserved for 3 weeks 2022.

We’ve stayed at RR since we started going to Coz about 5 or so years ago. The secrets pier is a few minutes walk and all the major ops pick up there. We dive with Aldora and they take care of the wristbands. We also see Dive With Martin there pretty much every day.

We like RR because it means very short boat rides to the southern dive sites and a short trip back home after you’re done for the day. The downside is that you’re about 20 minutes from downtown for dinner and groceries. And if you want to do any of the northern sites like barracuda then you gotta wake up early and schlep to/from town. We did that once.

The first year we stayed we rented a car but all of our subsequent trips we’ve just taken taxis. It’s only 170 pesos to go from RR to downtown (always confirm once you get in the car) and it’s very easy to get one either yourself or ask the gate guard to call one for you.

The nightly “commute” to town can get old if you’re there for a longer period of time. Most of the rental units have an option to hire a cook to make your meals. We haven’t done it yet but probably will next time.

I am staying at Residencia Reefs as I write this.
The Wifi is ~50 up and ~30 down. It is free and accessible in all the units, the pools, and yes, right on the beach!

The taxi fare to town is 200 pesos, or about $9.68 US (as of 6/20/2021). I know a very responsible, safe, and dependable taxi driver and I just call or text him and he is at my front door stairs in less than 20 min's. His name is Emmanual in cab 238 and his cell is 52-987-117-1083. If he is off, his Dad drives the taxi. They speak great English and they know where some great restaurants are located. They will come to get you when you are ready to return to RR. Just call or text and they are there to pick you up. No waiting fee either, but I always tip well. They can do an island tour as well.

Just about all the Dive Ops will pick you up and drop you off at the Secrets pier next door. It is a very short walk to the pier.
You just buy a "ticket" (migration tag) for daily use at the front gate to RR for $2 per day. Sometimes they will check for the tag in the morning, and other times in the afternoon when you exit your dive boat. Yes, the pier is a tad high, but all the Op's are great at getting their boats very close to the pier and helping you get on the boat. It is very easy.

My Dive Op of choice when staying at RR is Living Underwater. Awesome DM's and boat. It is an ultra-valet experience too. Contact them about doing the check-out dives. I am sure they can accommodate you.

Ping me if you have any questions.

RR is the ONLY place we have stayed for the last 10 years. We like it bc we like diving the South side of the island and the N. Side for a few days. Great place but all the units are different so you have to do your homework on what is provided. Great pools/dive great rinse tanks. We always go low season and typically have either pool to ourselves or one other couple. Try Diveedgar. former DM at Aldora. been diving with him for well over 10 years but hes had this business for several years. best DM we have found in our over 150 dives on the island. Small boat only. goes anywhere.

We were just there in Oct. We have been booking there for the past 12 years. A couple of times I have tried other places, closer to town, but end up regretting the decision. The complex never disappoints. In full disclosure, I don't know if your sons will enjoy the peace and tranquility versus being close to town. Basically every dive op will pick up from the Secrets Pier. Every day, like clockwork, there was an employee there to collect $5 per person to use the pier. This seemed to be enforced much more than on previous visits.

Looking at VRBO/Airbnb options, this seems to be one of the higher rated and nicer stays in Cozumel. I'm going with my two young sons so while not looking for a 5 star resort, I would like to stay somewhere nice with private beach/pool & wifi and this seems to tick all the boxes. However it's about a 10 minute drive from the pier. Any of the good/reputable dive ops pickup and drop-off here? Anyone who has stayed here and can recommend (or something similar)?

Full disclosure - Have dove Cozumel a couple times off of cruise ships, never stayed. Planning to stay for a week last week of June. Oldest son (17) is certified and has dove with me in Grand Cayman, youngest (14) will be doing his check-outs and then diving with us rest of the week. Both big strapping kids, strong HS swimmers.
Scuba with Alison is a wonderful dive op. She certified my husband and young son years ago, she's above and beyond in safety and just an all around fun boat to dive from. I sat on the beach for years as my husband and son dove with her, then finally faced my fears and got certified. I can honestly say I wouldn't have done it without Alison & Carlos. We'll be back on the Maximus in a few weeks and can't wait!! Goggle Scuba with Alison to find her and have a great trip ~ Toni

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom