Cozumel Airport Prohibited Items Question, Specifically Batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guitarcrazy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are returning to Cozumel this weekend and are attempting to fly into Cozumel Airport direct. We have previously always done the bag drag as our flight availability from Montana didn't allow us to get into Cozumel. I see in the Arriving into Cozumel Airport thread it mentions that you may not be able to take batteries in carry-on luggage. We have several dive lights, camera, strobes, and they all take rechargeable batteries of one type or another. We have never had any issues flying out of Cancun, but if it is an issue I am not sure what we can do. I believe it is prohibited to take rechargeable batteries in checked luggage, so what are the rest of you doing about this when you fly out of Cozumel? Thanks.

I thought CZM got in line with the rest of the world several years ago that lithiums go in carry-on. We have been flying out of CZM a lot in the last few years and have had no problems with batteries of any kind. We have some in devices and loose ones are in plastic cases. We don't put lithiums in checked even in devices.

As ReefHound said, put them in your carry-on.

I've had no problem arriving in Coz with batteries of any type. Upon leaving Cozumel, I did have them confiscate an unopened pack of disposable energizers. They let me keep the energizers that weren't still in the package. It's almost as if they were going to resell my batteries or something.

Thanks. I would hate to lose a bunch of batteries due to ignorance. Appreciate the info.

They took my GoPro allen wrench- a very small tool I actually forgot was in my kit. It was a big production as they searched all through my stuff to find it. They let the guy in front of me bring a giant, solid wood Mayan carving though- that must pose a smaller risk than a Allen wrench the size of a toothpick

They took my GoPro allen wrench- a very small tool I actually forgot was in my kit. It was a big production as they searched all through my stuff to find it. They let the guy in front of me bring a giant, solid wood Mayan carving though- that must pose a smaller risk than a Allen wrench the size of a toothpick
Mine got taken away in an American airport that I was passing through some years ago.

Yeah, luck of the draw I guess-

I did make it through at least 15 airports in 5 countries before they got me though. The Coz airport was very quiet that day- I am sure that had something to do with it.

Tape is now a no-no for carry-on leaving Cozumel. I lost high-quality duct tape, 2" electrical tape, and 1" electrical tape. I can't remember why I put them in a carry-on, but I won't again.

Tape is now a no-no for carry-on leaving Cozumel. I lost high-quality duct tape, 2" electrical tape, and 1" electrical tape. I can't remember why I put them in a carry-on, but I won't again.
The question is why did you have so many in your bags to start?

The question is why did you have so many in your bags to start?
I guess it's a farm boy thing. Good tape can fix many problems.

Back
Top Bottom