Coz Trip Cancellation Experience & Aftermath

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GameChanger

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'd like to hear about the experiences and aftermath for those of us who have canceled upcoming dive trips to Coz (or other venues) due to Covid-19.

I'll share mine:

Original Trip was for April 18 - 28. 9 days of 2-tank morning diving and 10 nights at the hotel. (Blue Angel Hotel & Dive Op). I prepaid half when I made the reservation in January. I also paid for a R/T ticket with American Airlines.

On 3.21 I notified BA that I was not going to be able to make the trip due to the Covid-19 social distancing protocols and travel warnings. They immediately offered to refund my deposit in full. No questions asked. No haggling. I found this to be very professional and customer service friendly! I am still planning to do this Coz trip with BA, hopefully at a future time in 2020. I told BA to retain my deposit for a yet to be determined future trip. I figured I would not get a refund on the 3% Paypal fees regardless and I would have to pay the fee again if I rebooked at a later date. BA was very appreciative of my decision and I think that it may help them with operational costs during the crisis.

I have not contacted AA about the air travel. I did get an email from AA yesterday (4.1) advising me that "you can cancel your trip online and call later when you're ready to rebook." All change fees will be waived too. That works for me.

So all in all, I am OK with the trip postponement. I am hopeful that life will get back to normal sometime in 2020. I know my little trip to Coz is insignificant and meaningless to those who have been impacted by this crisis directly or indirectly. When I look at it globally, it would be selfish to whine about it and fret over a refund or cancellation fee.

From what I am seeing/reading, just about everyone else has had a similar trip cancellation experience.

Travel dates - Apr 17 to May 7.

Prepaid for 21 days in a condo and 15 days of diving over a month ago. Contacted both last week to cancel and didn't ask for refund just keep monies to use for our future trip next year. Both were extremely happy with this.

Talked to Delta yesterday. Our flt to and out of Cozumel were canceled. So we are getting a full refund to be put back on CC in 7 to 10 days instead of a voucher for future travel.

Happy with the outcome except for not getting to Cozumel this year to visit and dive.

Food for thought, for all those telling hotels/condos to keep deposits for the future. This is an economic disruption unlike anything we have ever seen before. It may last a few months or it may last a few years. These hotels/condos may not survive it, even long established ones with solid reputations.

Food for thought, for all those telling hotels/condos to keep deposits for the future. This is an economic disruption unlike anything we have ever seen before. It may last a few months or it may last a few years. These hotels/condos may not survive it, even long established ones with solid reputations.
I understand and I accept the risk. I guess it just gives me a sense of doing my small part during this crises to help out a local business and the families of the employees. Not all businesses in MX (or elsewhere in the world) are well capitalized.

I understand and I accept the risk. I guess it just gives me a sense of doing my small part during this crises to help out a local business and the families of the employees. Not all businesses in MX (or elsewhere in the world) are well capitalized.

I'm not being critical just wanting people to understand that this might not be a brief interruption and things will soon be like they were before. Especially in light of the other thread where it was noted Mexican employers must continue to pay employees their full wage even though they have zero revenues. I would imagine many if not most business owners are trying to decide how long this economic collapse will last versus how long they can last. If they think that pushing on will just bleed away everything they have and still end up being forced out of business then they would be better off to just go out now.

I've been renting from the same condo owner for 10 years and diving with the same dive op for 15 years. I agree with GameChanger. This is helping the local economy by pre paying for a future trip and I don't see it as a risk.

I had a trip planned for April 20 - May 4 with 9 family and friends. SWA has told us that we can rebook for later or bank the fare. We were to celebrate my mom's 92nd birthday there; if she doesn't get down there this year it will be the first annual Cozumel trip she will miss since 1977.

Trip scheduled for 4/21/through 4/28. I chose to reschedule my trip until the fall. I've been staying and diving at the same places for several years so no/negligible deposits are required. I moved my United flights at no charge. I may have to deal with it again...only time will tell. One of the reasons I enjoy Coz is because it's easy. I hope it will remain so in the future once this current crisis is resolved because I'm sure it won't be last one of this type though hopefully we'll learn from this experience. For me the ease of Coz travel/trips will be one of the reasons I'll return "soonest" and will continue to do so as long as they will have me. Stay healthy. :):clearmask:

I have not contacted AA about the air travel. I did get an email from AA yesterday (4.1) advising me that "you can cancel your trip online and call later when you're ready to rebook." All change fees will be waived too. That works for me.
Sorry about your trip, but if there's any solace you're not alone. I just canceled a baseball stadium tour complete with stops for blues history and BBQ. I'm not whining at all - there are worse problems to have right now.

Wondering how long AA will let you rebook. Generally it's a year from date of original purchase; if you're a planner like me that could still end up being during times of "shelter in place".

AS an option to closing the business, selling assets is a plausible route. Aldora has plenty from my past experience, and can see no situation of them closing doors. Maybe less than Aqua World…but plenty to get through 3 or 4 months.

Dave Dillehay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom