Coz Shore Diving specifics...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Addict

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, headed to Cozumel for the first time soon. I have a question about the shore diving. Are there places that do not have the current? Or is it that no matter where you are on the island, you have to drive up the coast, then enter and drift down?

I have never drift dove, and had planned on doing a few days of boat diving, but wanted a cheaper alternative for the afternoons.

Thanks!

Addict once bubbled...
Ok, headed to Cozumel for the first time soon. I have a question about the shore diving. Are there places that do not have the current? Or is it that no matter where you are on the island, you have to drive up the coast, then enter and drift down?

I have never drift dove, and had planned on doing a few days of boat diving, but wanted a cheaper alternative for the afternoons.

Thanks!

You might check out diving with Aqua Safari: http://www.aquasafari.com/index2.html

If you do the two-tank morning trip for $55, you can do the one-tank afternoon trip for $9. I did a week with them in July and can recommend them: good staff, big, comfy boats, and seem to do well with newbies and more experienced divers alike.

I dive the plane wreck in front of La Ceiba often. I always see lots of critters both macro and sometimes some big stuff. I also like to dive the mouth of the cave to the south of Chancanab making my entry from the park. Don't penetrate if you do this dive unless cave certified and have permission. Playa Corona south of Chancanab is also a nice shore dive. Some small caves and lots of life. I'm sure there are many more great shore dives. Can you add to my short list Doc? When will you be in Cozumel?

A number of hotels have beach diving opportunities. Plaza Las Glorias w/Aqua Safari has a really nice area that has been imnproved with artificial reef structures and lots of critters. Brisas (formerly Costa Club) also has a decent beach dive with lots to see.

As far as the drift is concerned, it varies from day to day. We just got back from Brisas, on the 11th. The drift on the reefs was generally moderate to strong but presented no problem for several of our group who were doing their first O/W dives. At the two beach sites mentioned previously, the drift was not too bad and even on strong days, an easy swim South gave you a nice ride back North to the exit point. The shoreline is mostly coral rock and is at least 8 - 10 feet deep at the edge. Lots to see, great photo ops, but DON'T touch anything. Scorpion fish and urchins abound and even small cuts get infected if not properly cared for.

Our group dives with Aqua Safari every year and they are FANTASTIC. Safety and environmentally consious, friendly and affordable. A great group.

You won't find it much better than in Cozumel; hope you enjoy your trip.:) :)

It would be my pleasure to add to your list, scubalou:

1. Nice reef & sunken barge in front of El Presidente (Coz's most chi-chi hotel). On site shop, Scuba-Du, will rent you stuff.

2. Broken mall airplane in front of El Cid/La Cieba. On site shop, Aqua Safari, will rent you stuff.

3. Some nice patch reef off Villablanca Hotel. Near to Papa Hog's Scuba Emporium which will rent you stuff. There is a large sandy area with some small coral heads & a surprising amount of marine life. Swin out aways and the Villa Blanca Wall starts at about 60' and gradually slopes much deeper, but for shore diving the idea is to stay more toward the shallower flats to the east, between the wall & shore.

4. Trash dump off Barracuda Hotel is not scenic but loaded with marine life. Serviced by Dive Paradise, they will rent you stuff.

5. Chankanaab Marine Park has a modest entry fee & some nice patch reef. Bring your own gear.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Thank you all so much for the replies. I am still searching for that great deal - and am hoping to get a decent hotel at a decent price.

As it turns out, some of my family had planned to go to a Playa hotel at the same time, so maybe I can turn it into a family outing if I can splurge on an All-Inclusive - then they may change their plans to stay in Cozumel instead.

I really appreciate the feedback, and now I have a specific question... Can I accomodate my 'shore diving' and boat diving at a reputable place if I stayed at the Reef Club?

Thanks again!

Addict once bubbled...
Thank you all so much for the replies. I am still searching for that great deal - and am hoping to get a decent hotel at a decent price.

As it turns out, some of my family had planned to go to a Playa hotel at the same time, so maybe I can turn it into a family outing if I can splurge on an All-Inclusive - then they may change their plans to stay in Cozumel instead.

I really appreciate the feedback, and now I have a specific question... Can I accomodate my 'shore diving' and boat diving at a reputable place if I stayed at the Reef Club?

Thanks again!

Local dive op for Reef Club is Sand Dollar. I stayed there last summer, but due to Sand Dollar's unfavorable reputation, I dove with Papa Hog's (a great operation). Although there was fairly good snorkling at Reef Club, I saw no shore diving and believe it was because Sand Dollar refuses to rent shore tanks. Could have riden the boat back to Papa Hog's and done the Villa Blanc shore dive but didn't try it. Taxi back to Reef Club was $12.00.

Both resorts are fine if you want an AI, but do be aware that El Cozumeleno is very far north & a long boat ride to the better southern sites. Both are a cab ride into town; short for EC, long for RC.

Also, if you are an experienced & confident diver, I'd suggest that you not use the onsite dive ops at either resort. Select one from among the top flight of ops. This will be no problem at the Reef Club, as all ops will pick up at their dock. If you stay at a resort up north, you'll need to cab to a location closer to town.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom