Coz recommendations for dive resort/boat dives/shore dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barrod

Contributor
Reaction score
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi there!

My dive shop is offering a January group trip to "Scuba Club Cozumel". It looks like a good value. My problem is that there seems to be no beach and an iffy sort of resort in itself. You know what I mean, good for diving but short on any luxury. Anybody been to this place can offer opinions?

Will a new diver on his first ocean dives have a good time in Coz? I'm just worried about my friend drifting. I drifted a little in Hawaii but I'm worried about making his first scuba experience great. Are there plenty of non-drift shore dives there as well?

Everything is drift pretty much. We did it right out of open water. I would hate to have to actually swim! Get him a dm if he wants a little tlc.

I second the private DM. As a matter of fact, just plan on it. You two will be just fine and your friend will have a blast. Probably about $50 for the private DM which covers your first two tanks there. No brainer at $25/each.

Also, you'll be just fine at Scubaclub. Never stayed there, never will, not my cup of tea. It's not luxury, but it's no dump either. It's a fine choice for a first trip, and there are some big pluses. You might decide it's just perfect for you. (pluses, imho, they have AI without booze. Close to town. Nice shore diving there, which includes maps of the shore dive if I understand correctly.) There are few "beaches" at resorts on the west side of Cozumel, and many of those that exist are man made. Most places do have some sort of sand area next to the water. Don't know about Scubaclub. Robin?

Never been to Hawaii but my guess is that you'll notice some some stark, wonderful differences when it comes to the diving, the prices, and from what I've heard from people that have visited and lived in Hawaii, the people.

So lots of opinions from someone that's never been to Scubaclub or Hawaii. Fwiw.

Do the private DM for your first dives.

-Blair

I took my mom to SCC for her dive right out of open water and the current can be rough for a new diver. First 2 days of diving she had the death grip on my arm but she said she loved it and was having so much fun while i was trying to dive with a human anchor.

If i had to do it all over a agean i would have my mom take a drift class. At the end of the class he wont be great at drift diving but he will have the basic understanding of drift diving and take what he learned and practice it for the rest of the week.. Plus it will free you up to enjoy your diving more when you know he is comfortable diving in current.

SCC has great shore diving we dove there ever afternoon and my mom did her first night dive there.

I've been researching a bit just now - by the way thank you everyone for your responses - I think I want something more all-inclusive. My friend has never been on a really WOW vacation in his life and I want this to be cool for him.

Back in January I stayed at the Grand Princess Riviera Maya outside of Playa Del Carmen for the week. Nightly entertainment, huge open areas, totally all-inclusive, swim-up suites (AWESOME). I keep thinking of that place and want something similar.

That being said, anyone stayed at that kind of mega all-inclusive like in Playa but in Coz that can also offer shore diving and maybe even an in-house dive op?

I'm researching Occidental, Iberostar and others. All help from a divers perspective is much, much appreciated. Thanks!!!

Hi there!

My dive shop is offering a January group trip to "Scuba Club Cozumel". It looks like a good value. My problem is that there seems to be no beach and an iffy sort of resort in itself. You know what I mean, good for diving but short on any luxury. Anybody been to this place can offer opinions?

Will a new diver on his first ocean dives have a good time in Coz? I'm just worried about my friend drifting. I drifted a little in Hawaii but I'm worried about making his first scuba experience great. Are there plenty of non-drift shore dives there as well?

My first ocean dive was in Cozumel. I too went with our group from the Dive Shop Aquatic Adventures in Michigan. I was amazed at the visibility nearly 80 feet. Drifting was awesome, all you had to do was control your buoyancy and stay tuned in with the dive masters. They pointed out lots of things that a first timer would miss. One example, the DM was pointing to a large rock on the bottom and when I got closer to check it out, it uncurled its suction cupped arms and swam away. Another day a 5 foot barracuda swam right between my dive buddy and I, he looked me up and down then swam away in front of us.

There is a cool ship wreck, cliff dive and caverns to experience. I had a great time! You will want to request a fast boat that way you get back to shore by noon and have the rest of the day to play. We rented a moped and went all the way around the island. The view was awesome along the coast. We also went on a jeep tour that included tequila tasting, the best you will ever taste, home made. Shore diving at Hotel Cozumel is convenient, you walk to the mini dive paradise shop by the water, pick up you air take and jump in. The marine life right in front of the hotel is similar to diving the reefs, but I didn't see any sharks that close to shore. My wife snorkeled as I dove and pointed out various species of fish. The depth gets to about 30 feet. Because it isn't a typical beach front, you will experience a lot of marine life due to the rocky break walls. I thought it was cool. A great place to night dive as well, right in front of the hotel. The rooms were ok, not too luxurious. The food was hit or miss, but a lot of fruit. We found an awesome restaurant down the street called Jamies, great food and presentation. We lucked out because when we went their in February, it was their halloween parade. Want to go back soon.

I've been researching a bit just now - by the way thank you everyone for your responses - I think I want something more all-inclusive. My friend has never been on a really WOW vacation in his life and I want this to be cool for him.

Back in January I stayed at the Grand Princess Riviera Maya outside of Playa Del Carmen for the week. Nightly entertainment, huge open areas, totally all-inclusive, swim-up suites (AWESOME). I keep thinking of that place and want something similar.

That being said, anyone stayed at that kind of mega all-inclusive like in Playa but in Coz that can also offer shore diving and maybe even an in-house dive op?

I'm researching Occidental, Iberostar and others. All help from a divers perspective is much, much appreciated. Thanks!!!
Secrets has swim-up suites and the food, drinks, and rooms are better than the Occidental and probably the Iberostar as well.

ScubaClub is definitely NOT for you. It is a Diver Only resort, geared around diving and nothing else. You want a Resort with a Dive OP. Look at the ones you mentioned, they will suit you much better.

As far as shore diving is concerned.... there is no such thing as pretty coral close to shore. Wave action in shallows won't allow it. Beaches and shore diving are not found in the same place for this reason.

Back
Top Bottom