Coz. or Belize????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SterlingDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It is about time to get serious and get some deposits down for our next year's family dive vacation. I have visited both Coz. and Belize but have only dived in Coz.

There is seven in my party and I get to pay the bill. For you who hae dived both fairly recently which destination would you visit in July '04.

I am interested in your opinions.

Thank you,

SterlingDiver

There are a couple ways to do this. I recommend San Pedro / Ambergris Caye because of its close proximity to Mexico. You can drive south to XTC Dive shop who run shuttles via boat to Ambergris Caye, Belize or you can drive to the Mexico / Belize border station and take a 20 minute $35 flight from Corozal to San Pedro and many divers do this. You can spend the early part of one day travelling, spend the night, the entire next day and night, dive half of the next and travel the second half of the 3rd day. That will give you almost 2 full days of diving and using only 3 of your 7 days. If you want more info PM me, I did a lot of research on the logisitics of such a trip.

I did Cozumel in July-Aug 2003. It was the best time I have ever had. I stayed at the Brisas and I dived with Paradise. I think we paid a little over 1200$ for everything including airfair. Diving was great, hotel was great, I just had a very relaxing 7 days in paradise. Food wasn't to hot though.
Tekkie

i've been to both within the past year and a half...and i'd say it all depends on the kind of experience you want to have.

coz is more for the all around tourist...lots of things to do night or day.

belize...like someone mentioned ambergris caye and it's capital san pedro. if you love the 3rd world atmosphere where there is no pavement or fast moving vehicles...than this is the place. if you stay on the mainland...then of course you have all the fixing over there. but ambergris is the place for me...loved it there. stayed in one of the condos several miles north of san pedro.

but i'm also going way south to placentia to check that place out sometime next june. the best thing about ambergris is that it's literally a 5 minute boat ride to the walls and reefs...coz is a bit longer depending on where you're diving. it took a minimum of 20-30 minutes to get to a site.

i know i'm in for it when we go to placentia, cuz i hear it takes 45-60 minutes to reach the reefs edge. should still be fun regardless...

if you've already done coz...then why not try something new???

that's how i feel about things...cuz how else will you be able to form an opinion if the only place you ever go is coz :confused:

have you thought about grand cayman? i loved it there...awesome place if you stay away from seven mile beach. then again...it's all about what you like to do... :rolleyes:

I did Cozumel in July-Aug 2003.
I was at Brisas July 25 - Aug 1, I'll bet we shared a boat:D .

I have to agree, if you factor in the price and diving you cant beat a trip to Coz....If fact, I'll be there again in 40 days (but who's counting!!)

if you´ve already dived in Cozumel, try Belize. If you want to keep the price down, go to Caye Caulker not Ambergris Caye. Its the next island south and way cheaper. I have dived with 2 companies there Belize Diving and Frenchies, both are excellent. Accomodation is cheaper too on Caye Caulker

Back
Top Bottom