Coz in January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lawman

Reaction score
OK, I'm committed....January 03 at La Ciba/El Cid. Tell me something good about the place so I stop fretting about the decision. Also their in house Dive Op..Del Mar Aquatics I think.

Well, you can tell me bad things too, but I prefer good.:)

La Ciba/El Cid is a nice property. Once you come to firm terms with the aggressive time share sales force in the lobby, I suspect you'll enjoy yourself.

I have little good to say about Del Mar Aquatics unless you are satisfied with least common denominator cattle-boat scuba.

If you are a new to intermediate level diver, I suggest that you look into Papa Hog's http://www.papahogs.com/ .

If you are very experienced diver & money isn't an issue, I suggest that you look into Living Underwater http://www.living-underwater.com/home.shtml .

Both will pick you up at the El Cid La Ceiba dock.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

Doc said it all, but I will chime in! Do indeed go with Papa Hogs: they are a great bunch! La Ceiba is a reasonable place to stay--it has a nice little mini-village that will let you do some shopping AND a decent place to have an ice cream! You can even walk into town--if you do not mind a walk of ca 45 mins (I think that is how long it takes me???).

Time share hawkers are all around San Miguel and I have learned to ignore them. But Doc is right, they can be somewhat aggressive!

In future you might consider two other hotels that, as I remember, are in the same price league as La Cieba: Fiesta Americana--very far south of town, and Plaza Las Glorias--not too far from La Ceiba. My favorite is Fiesta, but as of late the taxi fare to town has risen to ca. $7.00 each way: some folks find this prohibitive.

Oh, yes, January is Spotted Eagle Ray time on Coz. If you ask, Papa Hogs will probably take you to the site(s) where they are most likely to show up; Del Mar Aquatics most likely will not!

Hope this helps,

Scorpionfish

Sure does help! Thanks a lot. This is the kind of info I needed!:)

Actually, amigo, it's closer to $9 each way these days. Can start to add up over the course of a week.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

DocVikingo once bubbled...
Actually, amigo, it's closer to $9 each way these days. Can start to add up over the course of a week.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Doc, I was just there in July and it had risen to ca. $7.00 from the previous charge of $5.00! Supposedly it was due to the lack of business and, so, the taxi folks--I bet you know which family I am speaking of--raised their fares to compensate. Big surprise: fewer folks were going into town from the Fiesta. Another annoying thing: additional fare for third and fourth passengers. That was something that in the past, if it existed, was never--I mean NEVER--enforced.

What is happening to that pleasant little island-town that I have come to love so? I might have a more difficult time waxing eloquently about Coz if this continues! We are heading back in
December and I an looking forward to it: at least the diving and the hotel fees have not risen (yet???).

But, you know, we typically have taxied to town virtually every day to get film developed or, most especially, to enjoy a delightful repast. At nearly $20.00 a pop, that will be a somewhat more expensive meal than in the past! Well, I have vented, Doc! Lo siento y vaya con Dios.

Tu amigo,

Rascacio Negro

I can't imagine not renting a car at least for a couple of days. It seems to me that it is well worth the extra cost to have the freedom.

Tim Ingersoll once bubbled...
I can't imagine not renting a car at least for a couple of days. It seems to me that it is well worth the extra cost to have the freedom.

Hi, Tim!

We did exactly that when we first started going to Coz--and we "toured" the island. I do recommend that first time visitors do exactly that in order to see the ruins and Mescalito, etc., "the last frontier". Hey, who else has a Mescalito t-shirt!

However, we found it cost effective to rely on taxis for going into town when the fee was around $4-5 one way. Last time I looked, and Doc will probably shoot another correction my way here, the fee was around $40-60 per day (depending on who where you got the car) for one of those neat topless VWs. So, even at $9 one way, taxis for the once a day trip to town are cost effective.

Now, as to "freedom", you will likely find, as we did, that to be on Coz means to scuba dive and enjoy a good meal or 14 (we usually stay for two-weeks) in town. Other than that and the comradery of our long-time amigos there, it is not much of a "tourist mecca". And that, by the way, is exactly how we like it!

Scorpionfish

Yeah, you're probably right. I go with my wife and kids who are non-divers. A car seems essential but it probably isn't. I am planning my fourth trip to Coz this spring and I can see what you mean. I have already done all the "touristy" things. A good book and the beach are sounding a lot better than an afternoon walking in cruise ship land. However, I will rent a car because my wife and kids haven't done all the touristy things yet. I also like going to the Bob Marley bar/beach after diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom