Coz car rental?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetjed

Registered
Reaction score
Renting Jeep 2/18-2/25 anyone got any advice? I've e-talked with Less Pay and Avis. Give me the good the bad the ugly and any other tips you might offer. :54:

unless your dead set on renting vehicle I would do most travel by taxi. Get your jeep for a day or two and drive around the island, go to the ruins, see the east side, etc..Too many bad things can happen to gringos in MX if your behind the wheel. Make sure you buy their insurance. Parking can be a pain in San Migel so taxi is more convenient. Just my .02 worth

If you plan on renting a jeep for the week, it is probably cheaper at the airport. We rented a couple of jeeps while we were down there, and the rates from the rental agency at the hotel were more expensive. I wouldn't worry too much about driving around in Cozumel - it wasn't that bad, and it's a fairly small island. Depending on where you are staying, it was nice to have a vehicle to get into town.

ditto from above- the car rental cost at the hotel we were at were $80 per day with all the insurance, tax etc. They have a strict 24hr policy and there was little variation when I asked around in town, and acalled a few places. If you can get a cheaper offer at the airport, take it- or book from here. Check the details of credit card insurance- the popel we spoke to said no supplementary insurance was valid- only what they sold- as I had not checked in advance, I couldn't argue.
BTW, we thought about renting a moped instead- they were running around $35 for a tiny put-put. Pretty expensive.

We used Pay Less at the Barracuda Hotel. Not a bad deal if you don't mind a beat up vehicle. When we rented a house in Coz we had the manager arrange to rent a beat up jeep with rotted floor boards for $45.00/day. It was a runner and perfect for three guys and no wives or kids. My parents rented a car at the airport (Avis or Hertz). From what I saw the airport rentals will generally be higher quality vehicles (AC, radio, etc.) for about the same price.

wetjed:
Renting Jeep 2/18-2/25 anyone got any advice? I've e-talked with Less Pay and Avis. Give me the good the bad the ugly and any other tips you might offer. :54:

Where are you staying? If you are staying far from town, like in the far southern resort zone, then renting a vehicle makes sense if you want to spend very much time in town. If you are staying in or near town, especially if you're on the main drag, it doesn't, since cabs are ubiquitous and cheap for short hauls.

A rental for a day trip around the island, though, should be on your "to do" list in either case.

Lots of good info and opinions so far. Just my .02. Less Pay is cheaper and the Jeeps are more beat up. Not a bad price if you are close to them. The Wife and I rented from them 2 years ago when we stayed at Iberostar. When you add up the cost of a taxi to and from Less Pay from down there, and the minor inconvenience, it is almost as much and worth renting directly from the hotel you are at if it is a one day rental. I agree, the "other side" is a must do. JMO. HTH.

If you are a cheap Scotsman like me then just rent a couple of scooters for a couple of days.You can negotiate prices down to 25$ day but the insurance part they are pretty strict about. If money is no object then by all means go ahead and get a jeep for the whole time you are there, that is real luxury to be able to go anywhere you want anytime you want.

simcoediver:
If you are a cheap Scotsman like me then just rent a couple of scooters for a couple of days.You can negotiate prices down to 25$ day but the insurance part they are pretty strict about. If money is no object then by all means go ahead and get a jeep for the whole time you are there, that is real luxury to be able to go anywhere you want anytime you want.

That's a good option only if you are experienced in driving such vehicles, IMO. The single largest contributor, by far, of injuries to gringos on Cozumel is scooter accidents. The son of a friend of mine was killed on a scooter down there three years ago, and my brother (who just won't listen) has been injured three times on scooters. In a scooter collision with just about anything, the scooter loses, and they don't speak English in the emergency room.

Scooters can be fun, but they did look fairly dangerous. The last day I was down there (to fulfil my 20 hour no fly according to my computer) we toured the island and passed by a scooter accident complete with police and ambulances. Probably a normal occurence around there given the state of some of the roads.

Back
Top Bottom