coz. at thanksgiving - ? dive shop ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rebelrph

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm going to Coz the week of Thanksgiving, staying at Fiesta Americana. I've been 3 times before and used Aldora Divers. But, I've heard they have had alot of turn-over and aren't the same dive shop as then.
Does anyone have suggestions?
Ever used dive shop at FA?

Thanks,

Rebel

I can highly recommend Caballito del Caribe. They will pick you up at FA'a dock or any dock you choose. Fast 8-pak boats, great DM's, safe, etc. We've been using them for 6 years and couldn't be happier.

You've heard of "looking before you leap" the same applies to posting a thread.
I haven't been here in a while and things seem to be arranged differently (although better) then last time. Or else my senility is gaining on me....
Anyway as I started reading some of the existing "posts" I found some pretty good info. Still no updates on Aldora yet. So, if anyone knows... let me know.

Thanks again,

Reb

Aldora has lost several top DMs, plus a great office manager. Some boat maintenance has been shoddy, and much of the extra air in their large tanks is now used for extended safety stops rather than meaningful bottom time.

The dive op at FA is Dive House. Yes, I have used them. This is a long-established & very competent shop, although I would recommend paying the extra $10 or whatever to get into their advanced diver program which takes out computer divers in 6 packs.

BTW, if Dee recommends an op you can have confidence in it.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

We just used Papa Hogs in Coz a couple of weeks ago. They were fantastic. I can not say enough good things about them. They use fast 6 pak boats. They will pick you up at your hotel. If you have 4 - 6 divers, they will also pick you up for a night dive.

Dove with Aldora in August, 2002. Doc is correct. They have lost several of their more aggressive divemasters and they were in the process of testing some new engines so the fast boat was slow for a day. We requested Bill Memo as our divemaster ahead of time. He is fairly conservative but has a knack for critter spotting. He also uses a slate and communicates very well. His dive profile is a wee bit conservative but the bottom times were excellent (70 minutes actually seeing stuff and 10 minutes to come from 40 feet to the surface). I still like the dive op and will dive them again.

Blue Angel, located near the Lorena Hotel is great. They will also pick you up at your hotel. They have small boats and will let you dive your computer with your buddy.

I e-mailed several of the Ops suggested,
but Blue Angel was the only one who returned my e-mail. They sound really good. Willing to make special accomadations for my 14 year old daughter who wants to get OW cert. She is really small and has trouble with the weight from "all the gear" . They offered a smaller tank and really seem interested in doing what ever they can to help out.

Thanks to everyone for your help. I'll give you an update when we get back.

Todd

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom