COVID TEST TO FLY BACK INTO THE US CLARIFIED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m not talking about other countries. I’m talking about returning to the USA, which is the topic of the thread. All the best.
I know you are talking about returning to USA.
The interpretation on 'departure time" for the validity of the test has to be understood. And you have experienced that from your trip to Egypt ie. country of origin or the last flight(transit through a 3rd country).
Some people would only pay attention to the entry requirement to the final destination and forget to check his/her own for the return.
HK also only accept the last DIRECT flight.
Cheers.

Hopefully, the testing requirment will soon be dropped as omicron decreases.
Good luck but I am not too sure about that in SE Asia or at least in Hong Kong.

Dan, for entry back into the USA on your itinerary, the US government considers the last flight before departure/arrival into the USA. Not your originating flight. In your case, your March 3rd flight from Dubai to Houston is the flight that counts. You can take a rapid antigen test any time on March 02.

I just went through all of this on my flight back to the USA from Egypt, which had a stopover in Germany. It was the Germany flight that set the timetable, not the first flight from Egypt, which happened to have been the day prior and would have made life even more difficult.

In your case, it doesn't seem to matter since your originating flight is also on March 03. Anyway, hope what I said helps others and that you can get a rapid test and results on the 2nd.
Well, I’m now confused. According to CDC, COVID-19 and Your Health

“If your itinerary has you arriving to the US via one or more connecting flights, your test can be taken within 1 day before the departure of the first flight…”

“If your itinerary has you arriving to the US via one or more connecting flights, your test can be taken within 1 day before the departure of the first flight…”
Well, that is new. Check with your airline. At the end of the day- they are in control of the process.

I just went through all of this on my flight back to the USA from Egypt, which had a stopover in Germany. It was the Germany flight that set the timetable, not the first flight from Egypt, which happened to have been the day prior and would have made life even more difficult.

The difference here might be that Trailboss had a "stopover" in Germany; note, he says stopover not connection, so I interpret that as an overnight. The rest of the section Dan is quoting says, "Please note, if you planned an itinerary incorporating one or more overnight stays en route to the US, you will need to make sure your test is not expired before your flight that will enter the US."

I have 6+ hour layover in Dubai & ended up taking another Antigen test at the airport for $50.

Back
Top Bottom