Covering Lead Weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark_N

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have the Sea Pearl lead weights and would like to cover them in some type of soft rubber or other flexable form fitting cover.

Any suggestions for a liquid dip that I could use on them?

Has anyone tried covering their weights after market?

Just use the plastic dip prepared for tool handles. There are many suppliers.
Go into Google with the following search and you will find a lot.

tool handles plastic dip

I'm not sure why you would want to bother coating lead weights, but hey, whatever turns you on. Sea Pearls has a line of vinyl-coated weights in six colors; also, you could just get a neoprene weight belt with pouches to enclose them.

Like miketsp said there are tool dips. I got a product called Plasti Dip (www.plastidip.com) from Lowes. It comes in a dip or a spray can. It worked pretty good after putting on several coats. The only problem I have had is I have only been able to get red which was fine cause it matched my dad's gear. But I have not been able to get any yellow. I think I will work on getting some this winter to paint all me weights.

Putting that type of covering on soft weights is an exercise in futility. The changes in temperatures, etc, will cause the coating to crack eventually, then you'll not only have soft weights, but also water containers.

It would work very good on hard weights, however.

the K

MichaelBaranows:
I got a product called Plasti Dip (www.plastidip.com) from Lowes. It worked pretty good after putting on several coats. The only problem I have had is I have only been able to get red which was fine cause it matched my dad's gear. But I have not been able to get any yellow. I think I will work on getting some this winter to paint all me weights.

Cool, I had remembered something like that for tool handles but not looked into it. The web site does show multiple colors and I like the yellow idea. Going to check Home Depot on my way home tonight and give it a try. Thanks for the replies...

don' dip them in tool dip.
the slots for your weight belt will become too small-we have special tooling to allow dipping.

Tool dip will fail unless you use a bonding agent to adhere the vinyl.

Lee

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom