Cousteau's Calypso ship left to rot in family feud

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought this was resolved last year?????

So sad...

daniel f aleman:
Sun Jan 22, 2:49 PM ET
... On the other, the Campagnes Oceanographiques Francaises (COF) is backed by Jean-Michel Cousteau, the Commander's son by his first marriage, as well as by several of his old crew such as chief diver Albert Falco.

JMC was JYC's son by his first marriage and by several of his old crew? I'll bet he doesn't know that.

I have had the opportunity of working with Jean-Michel off-and-on for the past four decades. I worked for TCS under his father and him during a film project back in the 80's.

It is my opinion that TCS is being run very poorly today (and since JYC's passing). The fact that the Calypso sits rotting is a testament to that. Savvy administrators and staff could have mounted a campaign to really save the Calypso if they presented the vision. There are too many of us who came to our love of the oceans because of JYC and that vessel.

Personally, I would not donate a cent to TCS. I would put my money (what money?) and my time towards working with JMC and Ocean Futures, or the Philippe Cousteau Foundation established by Philippe's widow and "children."

I hate to see any ship sit and rot, but this one feels personal. Jacques Cousteau was a huge part of my childhood. The Calypso deserves a better, more honored fate!

Very sad. I had no idea that the Calypso was not still anything but a pristine research vessel plying the seas.

I'm stunned.

drbill:
JMC was JYC's son by his first marriage and by several of his old crew? I'll bet he doesn't know that.
It definitely sounds like some paternity testing is in order. It gives me a whole new appreciation of life on the Calypso.

I listen to this relatively new station from time to time called Jill FM in the So Cal region, it plays the widest variety of things ... and of all things I just heard John Denver's Calypso tonight... I think it's been 15 years since heard it. I even remembered the corus by the 2nd time around. Really cool song, gave me chill bumps thinking about where that ship went and the adventures that ships been on. Is there another boat in the universe with more experiences under it's hull?

Back
Top Bottom