Cousteau-Gagnon "Hydro-lung" Supreme

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Captain Larry

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm not a US Divers follower so I apologize in advance for not being more familiar with this reg. I had a customer bring in a reg with the following on the 2nd stage cover: Cousteau-Gagnon "Hydro-lung" Supreme U.S. Divers Co.
I didn't take the 2nd stage apart yet to look for a sn but the 1st stage yoke is stamped 007944
I did a search and found an old thread that discussed a little about the history of this reg which was apparently built in 1962 (chromed 2nd).
The owner wants to know if it's possible to rebuild it and if it was worth rebuilding.
He also brought in an old Healthways tank built in 1961 with what looks like an original Healthways steel knob valve. Other than nostalgia I don't think it's worth messing with the tank.
Thanks for any input.
Larry

If the tank was properly cared for there is probably nothing wrong with it and a hydro should be all that is needed. I have several older ones that I use. Of the two the tank has a better chance of being put back into use than the regulator.

If the tank was properly cared for there is probably nothing wrong with it and a hydro should be all that is needed. I have several older ones that I use. Of the two the tank has a better chance of being put back into use than the regulator.

Thanks, it has markings but I'm going to have to clean it up a bit to read them all. It has some hydro stampings but it's at least 10 years out of hydro. It looks shorter and narrower than an aluminum 80 and I'm guessing that it's also low pressure so I don't know how many cu ft it is.
I don't think he wants to spend the money to bring this gear up to standards I think he's mostly interested out of curousity.

That is likely a steel 72, nothing wrong with it. There are plenty from the 50 and 60 still going strong.
The USD is a differnet matter. If it's the one I am thinking of, the first stage uses the same HP parts as the DA Aquamaster DH reg. It is likely you could salvage the first stage but it would require resurfacing the HP seat....we (vintage divers) do it all the time but it's not likely a shop would be willing to do it, both from a time and liability standpoint. From what I understand some of them came with Conshelf VI first stages on them..in that case, put a current conshelf kit in it and dive it. With a good photo, it's fairly easy to tell which. The second stage is pretty much a generic design, as long as the diaphram is good, a LP seat is likely all it needs. Again, something a shop could do but not something they would likely take on. All in all, hydro and vip the tank and use it and pass the reg on to some of the vintage community who will put it back in service. Come to think of it, Solanda is looking for a specific HL, that may be it. You might have your customer contact him if he wants to sell it.

Hey I need a hydrolung for my collection, tell him I'll give him market value for it, which is typically 25 to 30 bucks, and have him shoot me a PM on here. Besides, he doesn't want it, that old stuff will kill ya!

My 72 is from the 60's and it works great as well. It turns out that tanks very rarely fail hydro. Who knew?

Tanks very rarely fail hydro? Then explain my two PST HP120s that are door stops.

However I had an old Healthways tank pass hydro a year ago. I just need to find a new valve for it as they didn't like the original J-valve.

Tanks very rarely fail hydro? Then explain my two PST HP120s that are door stops.

PST HP tanks are often failed because they weren't given the proper pre-hydro round out procedure.

Thanks WD8CDH,

I was going to raise that point, but you beat me to it. I have seen a bunch of PST tanks fail and get whacked that did not really fail. Stupid hydro guys are out there. Your two 120s were probably fine before they got XXXXX'd out, or got their threads whacked. Still, thanks for trying to sharp shoot me. I'm not mad at you though, I know it comes with the degree :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom