Count those divers......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You have to figure his lawyers got at least half. Now they're the one's who should be lost at sea :D

...why is it just so much fun to pick on lawyers?

more specifically, don't let people who don't work directly for you count or do roll call... (and if they do for some reason, please double check)

I like the fact that his float off caused him not just PTSD but was responsible for his skin cancer as well. What jury of idiots believes that a five hour exposure causes that? UFB. Too bad they can screen almost anyone with common sense or a basic knowledge of the issues from the jury pool on the selection strikes.

The guy hosed up on his dive and that was the basic cause of the problem, then he just gave up on trying to make the boat after the mistake. Bad diver count just compounded it and this is what turned it on the dive operator. If the crew had made the count properly and known the idiot was missing at first dive, then no suit; even if he had never been found.

I never leave the site without doing the count and making sure I have them all and they look OK. Easier with just six, but have done it with 20+ in the past. I still use a dive log on which I record not just the times in and out but the sea conditions including the set and drift. Lessons all learned the hard way that it is something you should make a point of documenting.

Big lesson of this post is to not think bad things cannot happen on your boat. If you run dive trips enough you will have drift offs caused by divers like this guy, Worse yet they make some mistake, then panic, injure or kill themselves leaving you to clean up the mess. Best to have a plan ahead of time so that when it does happen you can go on autopilot and take good actions. That little bit of planning and preparation might just keep you out of the hot water later.

Also I will try and remember this guys name since he will have plenty of money to go diving again - I don't want him on my boat...

In my head it is fairly simple. Customers are allowed to make mistakes, Operators...not so much. I imagine that is what the jury came to as a conclusion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom