Could these symptoms be consistent with a perilymph fistula?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cholla11

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone, thanks so much for reading this. I am really lost at what to do at this point, and appreciate any and all advice.

I earned my PADI open water cert in late December, and had trouble equalizing throughout the week I was diving. On one dive in particular, my right ear wouldn't equalize, and after surfacing, I noticed that I couldn't "pop" it until the next day, and had unilateral muffled hearing... Shortly after that incident, I also had a relatively fast ascent during one of the training dives from less than 60 feet, and noticed some coordination issues and balance issues, which didn't help. Fast forward to after diving, I was evaluated by a hyperbarics team, and advised to undergo two table 5 treatments, as they thought I may have DCS. I also received a head MRI, which was clean, except for debris in the mastoid air cells...

Now fast forward roughly 5 weeks later, I am still having symptoms of dizziness and light-headedness, and have noticed a slight myopic shift in my vision after being refracted. Luckily, my hearing has completely come back. I have seen numerous doctors (ENT, opto, neuro-ophto, etc...), and have been told that my symptoms are likely related to an inner ear condition, possibly a perilymph fistula, that may have been exacerbated by the Table 5 treatments. Could anyone offer insight here? I am very new to the diving world, and thank you all so much for taking the time to read this and offer your advices. I am following up with a neuro ENT in the future.

Back
Top Bottom