Could I dive from my Ocean Kayak Mysto?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the issue might be where to put the gear.

You will be most of the weight, and sit in the middle of the kayak, creating no balance issue.

The next heaviest thing will be your tank (presumably with regs and bc attached) and will be difficult to offset in order to avoid having the bow or stern up in the air.

just my 2cents

That was my concern as well. I suppose you could stow it forward, between your legs but that doesn't allow much mobility. If you have a friend with a pool, try it out in the pool & see what happens. That's what I did before hitting open water.

I would say it is too short. My recommendation would be something 13' or longer.

Another option, even more ideal with the lower drag bp/wing systems, would be to tow the tank and wing like a trailer...with air maximally floating the wing and tank...though you might experiment with just a small amount of air, and see if less wing volume will mean less drag, and an Al 80 would just about be bouyant enough anyway to be floating trailer style...

All replies echo my thoughts so far. Weight of gear probably wouldn't be an issue (even though I dive steel tanks) but storage and placement for leveling & balance might be a challenge. Right in front of me might be OK. I had thought of testing this on a "Lake Atlantic" day, but a pool test might be in order.

I think if I were doing it, I would build some form of raft to pull it on. At least for a trial version, get some of the ridged packing material (the semi ridged stuff- it‘s like foam rubber but is more plastic in consistency and is water proof ---most of it is pink). It can be had for nothing at anyplace that gets in a lot of equipment- we throw away huge sheets of it all the time. Glue it together with RTV and install PVC pipe or wood dowels in the pieces for strength to form a catamaran type structure. 2 long, wide, tall pontoons, one on each side with a platform on the top of them that rides out of the water. The leading edges should be pointed to reduce drag. In the platform I would put a valley that the tank would ride in to prevent it from rolling when a wave passes by. If it works then you might consider making a better float....maybe with 6 in PVC pipe as the pontoons.

I have a 2 man inflatable kayak, and while I "could" jam more gear inside, I prefer not to....For some dives we have used it for, I have towed a Tooka behind the kayak, and this worked great.... See the Tooka Tooka article
The Tooka is a good concept for 20 to 40 foot deep dive sites, though if I did not own one( I do), I would just use a Brownie Kayak hose on a good sized scuba tank, and leave the tank on the Kayak...and not bother with the stinking BC, which no one should need on such shallow dive sites anyway :)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom