Costa Rica - Wetsuit Thickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dugur13

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm going to be doing some diving down in costa rica on the pacific side by playas del coco and am wondering what wetsuit I'll need. I just bought a 3mm, but have heard some people recommend 5mm due to severe thermoclines. Maybe a 3mm and a vest? Any thoughts? Thanks!

I've been there at all times of yr. and being a girl i get cold easily...but, i've only worn a skin and i've been just fine.

I was there Nov 2004 and my logs show temps ranging from 70 to 82F. I was in a 3mm full and recall being very happy to hit the warmer water as we surfaced. Others on the boat had hooded vests and I would have used one if I had it.

I have been diving in Playas del Coco, with Rich Coast Diving. I have my own 3mm full body suit, and in october that was fine. The dry season starts in november, and that will make the water a little colder. Rich Coast Diving offered me a shorty to wear over my own suit!
You should check them out when you are going. Have fun!

This Tico who regularly dives there recommends a 5 mm for the rainy season ("warm" waters) and a 5 mm + hood or 5 mm + shorty for the dry season (Dec-April). I have a 5/4/3 but I normally don't dive Guanacaste during the dry season, just too cold for me. Maybe people more used to colder weather/waters don't have such an issue.

We just got back from Cocos Island, CR. I was very happy in a 5m out there some of the thermoclines got into the 60s. A 3mm and vest should be ok you might want to bring gloves and bennie/hood.

Hola,
The temperature right now is 82 or 28 celsius, and I (instructor) still wear a 3mm shorty. It does get colder in the next months, and I change to a 3mm long and sometimes for the second dive a 1mm vest, but that is fine and I am a girl and get cold pretty fast.
Most divers use the 3mm long, but the hard core divers still prefer the shorty.
I would bring a 3mm and if you are too cold you can use a shorty from our rental program.
Maybe see you soon. Happy diving.

Back
Top Bottom