Trip Report Costa Rica Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rlskill1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Just got back from. Week in Playa Flamingo, Costa Rica. Made 3 boat trips (6 dives) with Pacific Coast Dive Center. Dove Catalina Island, Brumel Island, and Shark Point. Water temp 84 on surface 80-82 on bottom. One dive had a slight thermocline. Vis on all days about 30'. Lots of tropical fish, moray eels, and white tipped reef sharks. Nice people, good operation, lottsa fun. I will go with them again on next trip. Great food at motel, Marie's, Lucy's, and the other local restaurants. OI000055.jpg IMG_20180404_163739.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180407_162700.jpg
    IMG_20180407_162700.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_20180407_162119.jpg
    IMG_20180407_162119.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_20180404_163721.jpg
    IMG_20180404_163721.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_20180407_162935.jpg
    IMG_20180407_162935.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_20180404_163802.jpg
    IMG_20180404_163802.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_20180403_175953.jpg
    IMG_20180403_175953.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 186
Thanks for sharing. What led you to head to that destination? Traveling divers are blesses with many to choose amongst; it's good to see the decision process that rules one in, others out. Of course, warm water Pacific diving instead of Caribbean offers different species than some of us typically see.

Richard.

Hey Richard,
I went there 10 yrs ago on vacation. I liked diving there even though not the best vis but I like seeing the wide variety of marinelife. It's something different from Caribbean diving.
Thanks for reading.
Roger

Any topside activities appeal to you while you're there? Some forum members are all about the diving; some have broader interests, or non-divers in tow.

Richard.

Outdoor adventure activities abound. Besides the pool, swimming in the ocean or just sunning, there is atv riding, jetskis, horseback riding, biking, zip lining, white water rafting, hiking, Walmart, sailing, snorkeling, some golf, tennis, food. We opted to stay around the motel and not drive all over creation trying to see everything (a first for me). A very enjoyable trip.

Thank you for the report. My local dive shop has a trip to Costa Rica the first week of September. I thought I squeezed our 25 th wedding Anniversary to that trip. The day of our Anniversary, we will be in Miami than flying out the following day to Costa Rica before the group arrive on Saturday. I heard the visibility is not the best but the marine life is quite different. And, I’m thinking we can do some water rafting and hiking to the rainforest is what appeals me. We are staying in Liberia and will be diving w Rocket Froggy.

Thanks! My family is considering CR for our summer vacation. We want to dive but also want lots of topside activities, especially nature and animals.

We visited Costa Rica on numerous occasions many years ago -- enjoyed every visit !
In addition to great diving we visited the rain forest, and the Arenol (S -?) volcano while erupting
So many great memories of a great people and a great country !

The only negative was the very thick Tico Tortillas-- Just never got use to them !

SDM

I did a Costa Rica live aboard this July (Okeanos Aggressor II) to Guanacaste and the Bat Islands and it was a very nice trip, full of adventure, neat UW animal sightings (flying mobula/bull sharks...even saw pilot whales UW! Even better there was NO sign of Lionfish anywhere....NONE ! We had many ace photographers on board with tons of photos so if there was a lionfish anywhere it would have been impossible to miss it, because they photographed everything! Lots of topside activities too, jungle ziplining/river rapids rafting, horseback riding, etc.

I did a Costa Rica live aboard this July (Okeanos Aggressor II) to Guanacaste and the Bat Islands and it was a very nice trip, full of adventure, neat UW animal sightings (flying mobula/bull sharks...even saw pilot whales UW! Even better there was NO sign of Lionfish anywhere....NONE ! We had many ace photographers on board with tons of photos so if there was a lionfish anywhere it would have been impossible to miss it, because they photographed everything! Lots of topside activities too, jungle ziplining/river rapids rafting, horseback riding, etc.

Aren't Lionfish native to the Pacific?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom