Costa Rica - San Jose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1RUSTYRIG

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all-

I will be going down to Costa Rica for about 2 weeks and working out of our San Jose office. Which direction should I go to get in some diving? It appears that San Jose is pretty centrally located. Diving would be done on the weekends and maybe a "sick" day or two :D

I will be staying in San Jose (or burb there of) Monday - Friday.

There's some good diving in the NW Pacific province of Guanacaste. Specifically, there are a few operators out of Playa de Cocco/Ocotal or Playa Flamingo. You can fly into Liberia from San Jose via Sansa Air, for about $70 each way. Alternately, you can drive. However, it takes about 4-5 hrs, and the roads can be a little treacherous ..... especially through the mountains if the weather is bad. Good Luck.

I agree with Riguerin, we dove in Playa del Coco area with Ocotal dive shop while in Costa Rica. Flying would definitely be quicker but both flying and driving are for the adventurous. The small plane that we flew on from San Jose to Liberia was scarier than the drive. But the roads in Costa Rica are also an adventure and I would suggest renting a 4WD vehicle. The diving was also unlike anywhere we have been( we have only been to Caribbean), definitely dive either Bat or Catalina Islands (or both), we dove with some HUGE Bull Sharks…and so much more. You will not see much coral here….it is all about big creatures! Also you might also be sure to bring your safety sausage, there are a lot of rocks that you would hate to get slammed against if you were to have to surface because of a cramp or something. Costa Rica is our favorite place for all of the Land adventures too, if you like natural beauty, you should check out Tabacon Springs at Arenal Volcano or Rincon de la Vieja….both Volcanoe parks, that are breathtaking. You will love Costa Rica….but you will have to get out of San Jose to experience the country because all you will see there is just another big city.
-Sarah

I agree that driving should not be your first choice. We dove out of Flamingo Beach with Pacific Divers. They provide transportation to/from Tamarindo to their boat in Flamino Beach (45 minutes). There is also a small airport in Tamarindo that has service to San Jose.

Pacific Divers have a small office in Tamarindo and have their dive center in the Falmingo Beach Resort in Flamingo Beach. They were great! A 53ft boat with 10-12 divers and exceptional dive masters. We had great dives, lots of eels, sharks, rays, and a couple of turtles. Diving with their gear, two tanks, including transporation was about $80. It costs about $15-$20 less if you have your own gear.

Also, if I didn't mention it, driving should not be your first choice!!!

Enjoy and Good Luck!

-- Bill

Again I would go with what Rig said. That is definitely your best bet. Closer to SJ is whitewater rafting if you are up for that as well.

Closest is going to be Quepos/MAntonio area-about 3 hrs by car
Best idea as others have said would be Coco beach-fun little party town, good diving for CR, and some good Ops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom